A case for a dongle/adaptor

You know the thing I mean ?

A plastic case that allows 2 x 25 way D-subs (or a 25 way D and some other connector) to be mounted 'back-to-back' with enough space to allow some internal wring and/or circuitry.

Any ideas for a supplier ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Beware that printer ports are becoming ever more rare. If you seriously want to make a dongle, look at chips like the FT232R. You can make a USB dongle with that chip, a connector and a handful of discretes. The MProg software will let you flash it with a serial number and/or other secrets and it's verrry easy to access through their driver SDK.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Not on my PCs ! Besides, you can always get a parallel card.

That's not what I want if for thanks.

I'm making an adaptor that works with Atmel's AT89ISP flash programming software. It uses the parallel port.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If you're looking for just one, try googling for "db 25 jumper box".

They usually come with a little PCB inside, but you can toss that.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

As ever, it's a question of finding the right search term.

Thanks for that. I found these on ebay for example.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What circuit are you using? I couldn't find atmel isp cable dongle circuit anywhere

HNY etc

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

It DOES exist but is well hidden on Atmel's site. I forget how I found it now but there was a link at 8052.com IIRC.

It's *horribly* presented too and doesn't even use the right 89S52 etc signal names for the ISP header. It gave me a right headache redrafting it.

I'll post it in a.b.s.e

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What cable? The one that connects to the PC, or the one that connects to the target board? The target one you can make yourself, no big deal.

Digikey has the whole thing for about $30 US.

?name=3DAT89ISP-N= D

Or at least they did when I bought mine. Right now they show zero stock, but check the other usual sources. Atmel part# is "AT89ISP"

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Ta-da found this

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Looks different to me.

Every man and his dog seems to make a version that WON'T work with the ** ATMEL

** programming software.

e.g. ........

Note also that the AVR, Atmega and logic array programmers from Atmel all seem to have small but subtle differences, so I've implemented strictly the one for the AT89ISP spec.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

RoHS *non-compliant * I see.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

**

Hmm, I seem to recognise all those URL's :-(

I'll stick with 89c51 for the moment then get the atmel cable /dongle from farnell. 18 quid last time I looked. I wish the 89S series used the serial port and the chips's uart like the 89C, they put MISO/MOSI etc in the 89S, but it only works for programming, silly buggers

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

The

now

signal

ATMEL **

seem to

the

Farnell do it ?

Could have saved myself a few hours there.

Never used ISP with the 89Cs. Do they work like the Philips ones that you can program with Flash Magic ? Or is it another proprietary 'standard' ?

Thing is, that way you have to convert your (whatever non-standard level these days) RS-232 to 5V / whatever. I see no advantage.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

snip

Manufacturer: ATMEL

Order Code: 1095733

Manufacturer Part No: AT89ISP

program

days)

Never used firrips 51's, I just sort of got used to atmel doc, so I stuck with them. Might go over to the 8515 AVR, as it has the same pinout as 51, for faster stuff

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Yeah, I found it after you mentioned it. I could have saved myself several hours work ! I made a nice PCB too. Unfortunately Atmel seem to hide away lots of information about this ISP tool

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

These used to be quite common. Many years ago I bought them in a store around the corner. I suppose they can be found at Digikey, Farnell, Mouser, RS, et al.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Try Pactec :

Farnell has some of them.

I have also bought some from Elfa:

Tom

Reply to
Tom Twist

How "professional" does it have to be? You could get a pair of DB-25s, put your circuitry between them, hold them together, but spaced, with a couple of 2" (or whatever) 4-40 screws, and wrap duct tape around it.

If it's for market, then instead of the duct tape, you'd pot it. :-)

Probably for production you'd use a PCB and 90 degree PCB connectors rather than solder pots and wires.

Good Luck Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

CPC and/or Maplin.