Metal or plastic case

Hi,

Could anyone give me information of roughly the price to make a case for a device which is about 6cmx6cmx3cm and has 2 retangular holes and one circular hole.

Which one is cheaper if the case is plastic or metal?

The quantity is about 500.

Thanks!

Reply to
terry

learn it within the hour and get instant online pricing.

This assumes that you want to draw up the exact model yourself. If you want a 3rd party company to lay out the details and then make it, your looking at a lot more. But if its simple enough, i like these guys.

Alex.

Reply to
Quack

Buy off the shelf cases and have them modified. I doubt there will be much price difference for the machining.

Reply to
CWatters

I am not going to make prototypes but production items. So I need the price reference.

Reply to
terry

500 is quite a low volume for a production item. If you want a custom designed case then the biggest cost factor for plastic will be tooling. Could be $10,000-$15,000 dependant on the exact design details. With metal you might stand some chance of making a case by folding which needs far less tooling - more like $1000-$2000. If you want real quotes sketch a design and send it to manufacturers.

Is EMC is an issue? Its easier to solve this with a metal case than to try plating/coating plastic.

For 500 off I would still look at modifying an off the shelf case. Standard catalog items can look very boring I know but there are some reasonably smart designs out there that use aluminium extrusions to good effect.

Reply to
CWatters

Thnaks! Vut I want a little more references! Any similar web links?

Reply to
terry

I've tried emachineshop. It seems like it might be a nice idea but so far it's not worked very well for me (I don't know about ordering I've not managed to get that far).

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett