3.3V-5V level shifters

Don't we all know that? "Hey, we need this new thingamagic that we saw at a competitor and it's going to be easy, I think ..."

Ah, so now you can be found every night for dinner in the Kaeferschaenke :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks. Looks like the LVC4245 which is probably what I am going to use.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

AFAIK those are only 5V-tolerant but can't really drive 5V logic with gusto on the other side.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe I should have said "have you seen the prices Farnell charge for them ?". It may have improved since I last looked though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

something like this then

?

it has dual supply, one for each side

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Yep, or the LVC4245 I wanted to use.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I think they are trying to explain that if you are driving the enable from another device (not necessarily a 74LVC4245) you need to put a pull-down on the enable to guarantee that it remains low (and thus the

74LVC4245 remains in high-z) during power transitions. It is not related to any characteristic of the 74LVC4245 itself.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Look at the I2C spec, they do this using mosfets and is bidir.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Don't know that but recently I designed in some 74LVXC3245, yet to power the first board with them, though. But I am pretty experienced with that sort of thing and did not smell anything foul (and I hope saying so now won't come and bite me in 2-3 weeks time when I have the prototype board here...).

Will do - but will take two chips if you need to simultaneously have both directions actively driven. The two sides are separately powered which should make sure no thermal issues like those John mentioned are to be expected.

You must have overlooked something there. OE should be an input only - must be held low for the drivers to be open - the drivers on the 16 data pins, that is. Drive it high and all get tristated.

Didi