Jelly bean N FETS

I've got to enbrighten some lumileds, for a brief period, say

50-100msec, using an external current limit resistor, say 350mA,running off 4 AA cells. There are so many fets out there, which jelly bean? SOT23 or PTH

Must be Joerge approved

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

2N7002?

John

2N7002:

Pulsed isn't spec'd above 10usec and the 5sec rating is under 350mA so if that feels iffy you might want to parallel two of them. Under $0.03 a pop in qties :-)

The Vgs spec for 4.5V Vgs is also a bit hokey. Up top it says 3ohms max at 310mA, farther down they repeat that and state only 50mA. But they handle high currents quite well. Depends on how often your 100msec pulses happen.

--
Cordialmente, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'd thought of that, but the max Rdson seems a bit high, 5to13R depending on the wind direction when the fet was made ( fairchild datasheet) I'd like to make the external R determine the current, rather than the fet. There is enough room for a T0220, but that just seems silly to light up a silly, but quite important, little LED

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Why use an expensive MOSFET if a cheap BJT will do?

Eg. 8050 typical 0.28 Vce(sat) at 800mA (equivalent to 0.35 ohms) @ Ic/Ib = 10. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

How about this one then:

SC75 meaning really tiny, but a tad over 10 cents.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

wow, never heard of a 8050 before, got a URL? a quick google for

2n8050 just provided damn chinamart crap :(

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

If you want to switch to an almost dead short check this one out but it'll cost around 15c:

Also quite good at 11c:

Now this one really ought to do it, at 12c:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, just had a bad day with the UK/EU Farnell/RSwww search enginzz, they have all this teknologeewhizzcrap and they dont have a column of 5 etc.

Bad day, time for zzz, or a video maybe "Bad Day at Black Rock" is applicable, or maybe the winavr help files (nooooooway)

Ugh

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Joerge for President........................(of S.E.D)

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Don't expect "web designers" to learn, start your own parts wiki ;-)

Check out the other FETs from my last post, some pretty hot ones there if the BOM budget can stomach 10-15c for the FET. Else it'll have to be the old 2N7002.

C'mon, it ain't even midnight over there yet. Time for an eye on town, maybe a cerveza (mas grande) or a Rioja.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, but no thanks. I've seen how presidential candidates were torn to shreds in this here newsgroup ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Now I wonder why they don't have SOA curves for a 20-V, 3.2-A MOSFET in a SOT-23 package....probably because the curves wouldn't be distinguishable from the Y axis... ;)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I live in a sleepy town,even the kidz on mopeds have gone too sleep by now, 23:31hrs, made a miserable tortilla, but the rioja is working

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Yeah, they are meant for switching. Operate a bunch of them in linear fashion for more than a few milliseconds and it's like the O.K. Corral after Doc Holliday drew his pistol :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

first hit for 8050 npn is SS 8050 fairchildsemi

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Problem with those is they are not SOT23 and hfe can be less than 50 at a few hundred mA Ic. That can become a bit tight if Martin wants to drive it with a wimpy uC or something.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On Aug 13, 4:23=EF=BF=BDpm, Martin Griffith wrote= :

Not to be a language cop or anything, but I don't believe "embrighten" is a real word. I looked it up in several online dictionaries because I thought maybe I didn't know this one...

"embright" is a word (a transitive verb), and it does mean to illuminate, but is considered obsolete. I could not find "embrighten", or any other obvious variant, anywhere. FYI.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

But it does sound rightpondian, I've never heard it in the US. And Martin mentioned he'd already had some rioja :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Have you seen the the BSS138.

Newark has the BSS138LT1G for 0.04 cents small quantity SOT-23.

Another possiblity may be the NTS4001.

10 cents from Newark sc-70

I have about fifty of each,easy drive requirments.

Reply to
Hammy