What is the diffrences between pspice and Hspice????

Regards:

What is the diffrences between pspice and Hspice???? Thank you

thank you may goodness be with you all

Reply to
mikelinyoho

Spelling?

Actually the main difference is user interface... HSpice is just plain butt-ugly gawd-awful to use.

...Jim Thompson

PSpice is a version of SPICE sold by Cadence, HSpice is sold by Synopsys. Both seem to get sold to other companies one or twice a decade though. :-)

PSpice is aimed more at discrete component circuit design, I'd say, although there certainly are folks doing IC design with it (such as Jim Thompson). HSpice is aimed almost exclusively at IC design... there are many IC fabs out there that use HSpice as the 'golden standard' -- if you simulate your circuit with HSpice using the fab's transistor models and the actual IC behaves significantly differently in production than the simulation indicated, the fab assumes it's their process that's at fault and re-runs the wafers rather than figuring you screwed up your simulation somehow and would you like to write another check for some good chunk of a million bucks (or more!)?

PSpice is insanely expensive (4-5 digits, depending on the options) whereas HSpice is absolutely obscene (5-6 digits).

For the price, both are actually not that horribly impressive, either in the SPICE engine itself nor in their user interfaces. It's primarily momentum that keeps them both alive, as far as I can tell. HSpice has had some really dorky bugs in it over the years -- for instance, there was a version where, in the log file, it'd print out whether your MOSFET was in cutoff, saturation, or its linear region... but they didn't bother taking the absolute value of Vds/Vgs, and therefore it always claimed P-channel 'FETs were in cutoff!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You might want to check out XSpice too. It's public domain, extensible and the source code is online.

Microcode Engineering used it in their CircuitMaker CAD and worked well.

Protel/Altium bought them out, scared of the competiti>Regards:

Reply to
Loren