Re: Identifying buck-boost transformer windings?

How would you go about identifying the windings? Maybe use a Variac to

> input voltage to each of the windings then measure the output of the > others?

Yup, put a small voltage on one winding, and see if you get a much larger voltage on another. If so, you can tell which is the H and which is the low voltage one. Once you have identified the high and low voltage windings, you can put them in series to determine which way the phasing goes. If you get, say 50 V out of each of two windings, and then put them in series and get zero, you have them phased backwards. Reverse one winding, and you should get 100 V.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Have a wiring diag:

How to wire it isn't the question. Which wires are H1, H2, X1, X2, etc. is the question.

Series light bulb or Variac (will use 120 mains for testing as that is the only Variac I have...) seems the answer.

Remaining question: are H1/2 and H3/4 primary windings interchangeable? X1/2 and X3/4 windings interchangeable?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Say you have 8 wires. If you measure the resistance between any one wire and any of the remaining 7 wires, what do you get? There are 28 unique combinations (8 * 7/2):

Eg.

Wire to Wire R (Ohms) ?? A B A C A D A E A F A G A H B C B D B E B F B G B H C D C E C F C G C H D E D F D G D H E F E G E H F G F H G H

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Dave, In my first post I mentioned which wire were which. To reiterate, on my xmfr, the heavy wires are the X wires, the thin wires are the H wires. The difference in size is about 4 to 1. Now, these wires are the ones that show coming out of the potting compound. I cannot see the actual coils because the whole xmfr is potted. I looked at the picture in the link you sent me. If this is all the info you have then you don't have enough. I checked my email and I didn't see one from you. The email address with my posts is a real one. Send me an email and I'll send you the manual which will explain the whole thing. The manual has many wiring diagrams which will help you get it right the first time. Or just search online for a buck/boost wiring manual. That's how I found mine. I'm no electrician or electronics guy and it took me less than 15 minutes to figure out the wiring of the xmfrs for my 3 phase machine. Eric

etpm