SS can't find model?

..SUBCKT NPN1_XN _ssi_pin0_1 _ssi_pin1_2 _ssi_pin2_3_XN

  • _SS_Symbol [some_drive:\some_dir\bjt.mdc.ssm] [NPN] Q1 1 2 3 #SUB N1 V_ssi_pin2 _ssi_pin2_3 3 0 V_ssi_pin1 _ssi_pin1_2 2 0 V_ssi_pin0 _ssi_pin0_1 1 0 Q2 #SUB 1 2 #SUB P1 D1 2 3 DZ D2 #SUB 1 DCS C1 #SUB #SUB2 1E-12 ..ENDS

..MODEL N1_XN NPN(IS=0.38f BF=220 BR=700m ISE=0.18f IKF=17m NK=750m IKR=30m NE=1.4

  • VAF=60 VAR=7 RC=63.4 RB=300 RE=19.7 XTB=1.17 XTI=5.4 TF=150p
  • TR=6n XTF=300m VTF=6 ITF=50u CJE=210f MJE=330m VJE=700m ISC=5p
  • KF=200f AF=1.4)

Sumthin' wrong here? The simulator can't find model N1 or P1. P1's there, I just didn't include it here. Same for DZ and DCS. The output says "default assumed" but I think it aborts, whatever "default" is, anyway.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Try change references on original SUBCKT, from N1 and P1, to N1_XN and P1_XN.

(one thing I despise on SS is this of adding _XN on models. I think SS could just assume that model without _?? is plain model without worst case models)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W (GMT -2
(BRST) / GMT -3 (BRT))

I did all that.

I don't know wtf it's there for. Pity too, 'cause SS is the only CAD that comes close to digesting this file. SIMetrix doesn't find the subckts, just the models and the file was written *for* SIMetrix by Hans Camenzind. Recently!

Assuming this gets figgered out, that Cap in the subcircuit is across part of a substrate subckt, i.e., a 1 ohm resistor. It causes a singular matrix. 1 pf || 1 ohm. increasing GMINSTEPS and SRCSTEPS doesn't help either.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Doesn't that really f people up? I've seen enough model files where a bunch of subckts reference a common model to think that might be a PITA.

..library in each subckt?

So what does SS do when it ignores an unrecognized paameter like 5p or nk=750m?

It looks like it runs - DC sweep. But the graph is a blank. Connect an NPN as a diode with an R and sweep the DC supply. How do I ask SS for the collector current?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Why not email me direct?

You need to put all the .models that a .subckt references in the that ..subckt.

SS works a bit differently. It doesn't pass on the whole model files to the engine, only what's required.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

SuperSpice does this, in part, to make WC/MC automatic with no hassle from the user. There are other issues, which make this approach a sensible way to do things. Methods are always a trade off.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Sometimes. As far as all the supplied libraries, they should all work. In 6 years, I think this is the first time that its cropped up.

Of course you can manually use the automatically included include file to paste any standard spice stuff to pass completely on to the engine bypassing the SS mechanisms. The issue is that SS does various bits of pre-processing before passing it on to the engine.

The ignoring parameter bit is right in the engine, not SS. Ignored parameters, are well, ignored.

Oh dear...trivial.

1) Place a test point so that its pin connects to the device pin.

or

2) alt-click on a device pin.

or

3) Put SS into probe mode, then just clik on pin

4) Use the "Signals" tab (docked window on left) and click on the signal name in the list.

If you place the test point on the device or click the device itself, you get power plots.

You can still email me direct, you will get a faster response. Remove the extract below.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

I understand this, but why don't you consider adding option to disable this?

Some users aren't going to use WC/MC, after all.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W

"People told me I can\'t dress like a fairy.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chaos Master

Because its too ingrained all over the code now.

For the most part, one doesn't even look at the models. I'm still not sure just why this is an issue. Its just a name. The schematic labels for the symbol don't have to show the extra bit.