Removing Symantec/Norton Antivirus

Paul Urbanus wrote:

(alt.binaries.schematics.electronic removed from To: line)

It is also recommended by a guy whose opinion I value in these matters. In fact, they have become a sponsor of his

--and he is VERY discriminating about the sponsors he accepts (though he recommended NOD32 before that financial link existed).

JeffM

Twas for 3 different people, at 3 different times, for different crapware. I sometimes volunteer to try and drag a computer out of the mud. Most of them have Norton or macafee, and people think thats enough.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

[...]

Maybe one a month I'll run "Ad-aware"

Never finds anything, hence I've no idea how good it is. Through total lack of interest on my part I'm not even sure what it's even supposed to be doing. Presumably it does work as a couple of years ago it spotted a Trojan picked up within a couple of minutes of installing my new broadband modem and thus 'incentivised' me (been watching too much recent TV :), to fit a firewall prog 'ZoneAlarm'. (I'm on an original XP install). Seems a well battened down firewall may be a key. I still visit the same scummy/weird corners of the Internet and had enormous scum software problems using Win95/98 but at that time had no firewall installed.

Reply to
john jardine

--
You mean:

?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I run both Ad-aware and Spybot periodically... seems to catch mostly nuisance cookies.

I sometimes wonder if you can really get much of anything if you follow the simple rules of not opening anything that comes via E-mail, and watch out what sites you download from.

Time to break out the vino and prep myself so I don't get too sick during the "debate" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It's supposed to pick up 'malware' rather than outright viruses. I use it occasionally myself too. It'll also get rid of tracking cookies AIUI.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Since you have me killfiled you probably won't see this useful info unless someone else replies but I'm advised that if you use a proper router it's quite difficult to get viruses, unless you're daft enough to deliberately download them or run dodgy scripts on webpages.

I still use a software firewall though. I find the older versions of Zone Alarm are fine. Like everything else it's turned into bloatware :-( .Version

4.5.594 here. I like the way it alerts you if a new program wants access to the net and you can say NO !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Must have ! LOL ! ;~)

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Uhuh.

And just TWO FLOPPY DISKS too ! Not sure how many disks later versions came on. I must have several copies lying around in the 'archive' somewhere. It's still on my DOS PC.

On the golden oldies theme btw, did you ever see applications written in 32 bit DOS ? One of my regular jobs at one time was to provide support for one. They 'flew' !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Oh tell me about it ! Sorry I left out the wink in the previous btw.

Doing something like that a few months ago led to me losing my driving licence. The guy whose computer I was fixing (he was crying like a child on the phone to get me to come over) argued with me over what I was doing. After 1 1/2 hours it was OK again. And I designed him 2 damn websites for free TOO !

I was so furious I went out and bought a 4 pack of strong lager to calm down and drank the lot.

About 5 hours later I had to go out. Thought I was sober and got pulled over by chance. And that's after 32 years of a completely unblemished licence too !

Plus it may also lose me an upcoming interesting new opportunity involving a Chinese company and UK company sort of merging, since I'd need to drive to the UK place (too far and out of the way to commute).

Bastard.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I use Ad-aware and the old Spybot. Spybot has been around for a long time. One or the other catches different things. I have had to search for specific problems on the web or groups. One problem, someone wrote a little program to remove something I had for the Google search bug. I think the Microsoft malicious software removal tool is a pain and does nothing.

greg

Reply to
GregS

nothing.

Would be par for the course. IIRC they bought it from another software company, immediately disabled its 16 bit capabilities that I'd have liked at the time for 98SE and then lost interest in it.

For 'lost interest in' read normal Microsoft development cycle.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I still use 98SE at home, or W2K dual boot.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Nought wrong with it FFS ! Good for you. I still have a 98SE box too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Kaspersky

Robert

Reply to
Robert

The day Micros~1 bought it, it was #1. . Eeyore wrote:

They bought the whole company, actually.

Yup. Can't be supporting your own 4 year old OS. 8-|

(alt.binaries.schematics.electronic removed from To: line)

Reply to
JeffM

Russian isn't it ? So that means they have advance knowledge of all the newviruses.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Back in the 70's when I traveled a lot, I met a guy in LA at a computer show. He had some neet stuff. His name was Peter Norton.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

I would hope that they are less likely to do what some government bureaucrat demands, but does not want to show probaboe cause for. The German bureaucrats are trying to make use of malware. The Kaspersky firewall is also good at letting me know when Micro$oft is being contacted.

I have a distrust of those who want unrestrained power.

Have a good day, Robert

Reply to
Robert