Removing Symantec/Norton Antivirus

I'm biting the bullet and removing Symantec/Norton Antivirus.

What's the recommended replacement?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I dumped Norton a few years ago, tried AVG, now I am using Bitdefender. Bitdefender seems to use less resources and is among to top of the pack. Mcafee was my second choice, but I don't like products that stop working if you stop paying the subscription. Hopefully bitdefender will still function.

Martin Riddle

donald

About 3 times I have used the removal tool from the Symantec/norton site.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Does that mean the removal tool doesn't work properly??

What do you use now for anti-virus protection?

...Jim Thompson

If things are 'fine' then it usually works well enough. But if anything is off then it often leaves remnants, which aren't usually a problem for anything other than Symantec programs. Like removing an older version of NAV to install a new one: the new install fails.

Reply to
flipper

I dumped Norton a long time ago, Way to intrusive the way it works.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

It means that the removal went oke, for 3 friends of friends computers. I either install Avg or Avast, with Winpatrol and the runtime part of Spybot(Teatimer). Occasional scan with Spybot and Adaware and RootkitRevealer.exe (Sysinternals MS). For 2 or 3 dangerous viri, a removal tool(free) from macafee has done wonders, when I need one, google most of the times knows the tool. Current score on my comp: One rootkit malware killed by macafee tool in the last two years,origin and source of contamination unknown. XP Pro SP3, semi-auto update(I decide when and what.)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Virus protection progs are really not all that different. The important factor is their data base of known viruses. Any good program needs to update frequently. SEP is Symantec's end point protectection. They bought out a really good engine. AVG works fine. I don't care for McAfee.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I use ESET NOD32. Recommended by the IT guy from a friends small (20 person) software company. Next choice would be Trend Micro.

The IT guy and my friend heavily advise against Norton - uses too many resources, thus slowing down the system.

Paul Urbanus

ate

Which engine might that be?

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

LMFAO !

How long did it take you to discover it's a pile of steaming shit ? It's a VIRUS in its own right.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Something free. Because then they don't feel obliged to put loads of worthless 'features' in it that hog CPU cycles.

Macafee IMHO is no better than the Norton shit.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You mean you didn't learn the first time ?

You may need to explain about that to Jim. He seems like a bit of innocent in these matters.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

CONDOM ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ah ! The sweet smell of QUALITY software !

Does anyone remember when Norton Tools was the de rigeur requirement for anyone serious in IT ?

If only such a thing still existed !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Got something on your mind? Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

AVG here and still updating fine on V 7.5. I think they realised they goofed on V 8. I suppose that's not much of a recommendation then ! :-(

But at least the updates still keep coming daily.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

McAfee is IME as much of a resource hog as Symantec.

AVG here too. Still on 7.5 btw

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore