Protel 99 SE and MS Vista library problem?

David, Not sure if you are talking about the same files I mentioned but Protel does definitely write to the .ini and .rcs files in the Windows directory. That is where they store all of their configuration and options details for each particular functional module, i.e. schematic, pcb, router, synthesis, etc.. Just run a search for *99SE.* and you will find them, approx. 17 files in the Windows directory and approx. 4 other config/ini type files scattered elsewhere. But no matter where you install the software, the install will put these files right into the Windows directory everytime. And it wouldn't know where they are if they could be put elsewhere.

-- S>>> >>>

Reply to
Brad Velander

Yes, the ini and rcs files always go in the windows directory. I'm talking about the program files themselves - the exe and dll files, and other files in those directories. Protel needs write access to those files and directories (don't ask me why).

Reply to
David Brown

They go where you install the software. Mine is installed at C:/CLIENT. His is probably installed in C/program files/protel99se

Reply to
TT_Man

If Vista Business came loaded on your PC, then you have downgrade rights to XP Pro. Microsoft (purposely) doesn't advertise this, but if you contact your PC manufacturer, you should be able to obtain a set of XP Pro install/restore CDs for a nominal fee. I ordered a Lenovo T61P with Vista Business and none of my EDA apps would work, so I downgraded to XP Pro. End of problems.

Reply to
Paul Urbanus