Partial Route that I can't find in OrCAD

I've looked all over the layout (and I was sure I got everything when I was doing it) but when I run the statistics spreadsheet, it says 99.2% routed, and says that there are 0 "unrouted" but there is 1 "partial route."

Typically to find any wires that have not been run, I clear the screen and turn on the global layer. This allows them to "pop" right out, but this method isn't working for me!

I also tried to use the connection tool and "select any" or "select next" but I can't locate any partial (or unconnected) connections this way.

I tried zooming in pretty far on the global layer and scanning all over in case it was a very small partial connect and I also couldn't find it this way.

I know I'm a newb and this is probably a stupid question, but sitting here scratching my head isn't working very well!!

Any suggestions on the proper/best way to find this partial connect?

Reply to
Andrew

Well, I actually just found it! Sorry to make a post, but all the same, if anyone has a better way to find SMALL pieces of partial or unrouted wire, I would love to hear it.

The way I found it was to switch the background color to white and look for any little specs, which I noticed one. The reason I didn't notice it earlier was because the wire color for that particular net was

*dark* purple and the background was black, so it was very very easy to overlook. I should have better selected my coloring, I know, but there should be an easier way to find these wires!

Thanks for any guidance on doing this better!

Reply to
Andrew

It should throw up a ratsnest for a partially routed track - turn off copper, turn on rats. In your case, it sounds like a bug, because a partial route is not ''routed', but this gets a little sticky in the case of 3 or more points on a net.

I don't use that tool, but can you (from the report) get the net ID of the partially routed net? If so, just highlight it.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Yeah with copper off and rats on I couldn't see it because it was such a small unfinished connection in a dark color, on a dark background. It was basically a route that didn't quite make it to the center of a via, by 5 mils or so.

Within the statistics spreadsheet it does not give you net name (which would have helped greatly), but I'll check if any other spreadsheets offer the routing status of the net or something that would help, thanks!

Reply to
Andrew

In one of the manual route modes, hit the "N" key for select next unrouted net. Zoom in and you will see your problem.

--
Mark
Reply to

Two suggestions:

Hit the '.' key to toggle the display to high contrast mode (or select the equivalent command from the View menu). This helps make small unrouted things visible.

Or, with a routing tool selected, hit 'N' to select the next unrouted segement then 'F' to finish it.

Reply to
Matthew Kendall

Thanks for your suggestions guys...

I simulated my problem again and was able to replicate it, so I first tried high contrast, and this did not allow me to see the wire, and in fact, I'm not sure what the purpose of this mode was, as it just made pretty much everything grey on my black background, but did not affect the colors of the rats nest (colors of nets).

I then put it in edit segment routing mode and pressed N and it jumped right to it. Perfect!

I was using select next on the connection tool trying to find the wire before instead of on the routing tool, doh!

Thanks again, now this won't/can't happen anymore!

Reply to
Andrew