OT: Search Engines for PC Searching?

Does there exist a search engine for the PC that allows searching your hard-drive for files that contain MULTIPLE words, like Google can do on the web?

...Jim Thompson

You missed the "multiple" words requirement.

BTW, How is it you're still using Win98? Biggest POS ever written.

...Jim Thompson

Yep, google desktop.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.

Copernic desktop search works better - much tidier too.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'OT: Search Engines for PC Searching?', on Thu, 17 Mar

2005:

Google Desktop Search.

John Woodgate

Re: Woodgate's suggestion

The Global Regular Expression Parser has been around for decades.

Through redirection of output, it is possible to do recursive searches.

Reply to
JeffM

Damn. Forgot the big one:

(A review--includes Ask Jeeves & HotBot as well.) Mentions AOL & Copernic.

....and another caveat:

JeffM

If you can deal with regular expression, PowerGREP is a pretty nice search tool. You can do GREP and SED operations from the pretty GUI.

If your not familiar with regex, then ignore this suggestion.

Mark

Reply to
qrk

"GREP" is such an appropriately sounding name ;-)

Actually, Mark, I use REGEX from within UltraEdit to auto-edit HSpice models to PSpice format, so I'll give it a look-see.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

The Boxer text editor allows this sort of search. And its a great programming editor.

Pity it cant search binary files, like PDF, as well.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Check

I've used Agent Ransack for years, with much satisfaction.

Jeff

pH

Thanks! That looks excellent! Just ordered the Pro version.

...Jim Thompson

Woody Lenord has an $9.95 ebook on the topic of desktop searching tools.

At

He mentions ones that are out there free as: Google desktop

Copernic Desktop

MSN desktop

Lookout But this seems to just search MS Outlook email files

Yahoo Search

Robert

Reply to
Robert

And I should have mentioned the not free one that a lot of people use to organize what's on their computers:

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I use Copernic, but is limited to about 4 or 5 everyday file types. Be prepared - it can take your computer a whole day to index - subject to folder choice.

Reply to
Chris

Outstanding! (it's another on my very long and ever growing list of things to do--get FLPro)

Jeff

pH