What Search Engines Do Electronics Designers Use?

According to this site

Google is #1 Yahoo is #2 and the others I've never heard about until now.

Anybody using those other search engines? Like Fast or Gigablast?

Google seems ok..

I type in LM317 in Google.ca and I get 778 000 results. I type in LMC555 in Google.ca and I get 754 results. I type in SN74LVC1G175 and I get 97 results. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Google leaves out some URL's which others have. If you want the latest info, you have to use more than Google. Google also seems to leave out mamy pages of a paticular URL. Gigablast started up pretty good, but I think they went downhill. Some of the best multi search engins I use, are, Mamma, and Metacrawler. I'm pissed off at Google, cause it has one of my web pages out of their content, while it was in Google from the get go. Way back, I like Infoseek, because it was good for looking up companies. SInce the web has grown enormously, the search engines backed off from indexing a lot of things, especially "other" pages from any one paticular URL. Altavista uses Yahoo content, and think also Lycos. Then there is ASK, and MSN and AOL. There was a time when Alta Vista seemed king, and I started telling people to try Google when it was very young. It cought up fast.

greg

Reply to
GregS

A few years back, I was trying to index as many search engines as I could, and new ones kept popping up. Here is a fairly current listing...............

GregS

I like Clusty for the way it organizes results; its a good complement to Google

Reply to
Jitt

Google's syntax is the most powerful and the least verbose--especially once you know what to weed out. Each of Google's divisions has its own version of the syntax. 8-( (Google Groups "improved" their engine recently

--and borked it quite badly.)

(Yahoo tried to clone Google's syntax and muffed it; e.g. it *says* it accepts a NOT operator--but borks the results.) Yahoo still doesn't do wildcards.

Google accepts up to 32 search terms (words); Yahoo stops at 10.

Yahoo was ahead of Google on image search but Google has since passed them on that IMO.

Google also has books.google.com groups.google.com scholar.google.com google.com/patents etc.

As Szekeres notes, Yahoo's *database* is often more extensive than Google's for basic Web search. Without wildcards, however, it can be a pain to narrow down searches on Yahoo.

Reply to
JeffM