OT: Remote Alarm

Does there exist a product such as this...

Some kind of wireless link between my PC and a pocket-sized device that would notify me of incoming Skype calls; or E-mail?

Desired range: about 60'.

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Put a blue tooth connection to your PC for a wireless head set. set Skype to use audible sounds.. You just keep a blue tooth ear bud in. That's the easiest way with out doing some coding..

Reply to
Jamie

"Jim Thompson" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Install Skype in your mobile phone?

Get a wifi-capable mobile phone?

Jasen Betts

If you have a wireless network you can buy a Wi-Fi cordless phone for a little over $100 that will let you connect directly to Skype over your network. You don't even need to have a computer tured on to use Skype.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Good ideas, Jason and Michael!

Since I'm of the old school... wired this place with CAT5 when we moved in 16 years ago... I just don't think wireless (?)

(?) I'm not the kind who needs his laptop in his hands all the time... when I go to eat dinner, I leave my office and thoughts (usually :-) behind. But with clients in HK, their 9AM is my 6PM :-( ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

your news client is using the wrong character encoding hex 86 is not printable in ISO8859-1

possibly is supposed to be windows-1252 ?

Jasen Betts

I can see it just fine :-) Maybe you're using the wrong character set... or newsreader... you wouldn't be using Outhouse Excuse would you ?:-)

I'm using Agent v6.

Wa-a-a-ay back when I first started using it, I set the character set based on many inputs here.

My set-ups:

Code Page: Western Europe (Codepage 1252) Send Usenet As: Western Windows-compatible (us-ascii, ISO-8859-1) Default Charset: ASCII (us-ascii) Usenet Text: 7bit/8bit

So your "hex 86 is not printable" comment about ISO-8859-1... maybe a printer issue? "?" prints just fine to my hp P2015dn. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Just have the computer call you on your cell phone. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

UTF-8, it seems to work for almost everything.

Only when paid to do so and then only for short priods.

slrn here

Ah, so you set it to tell lies, that seems an odd choice.

86 is a control character in ISO-8859-1, it does not have a glyph.

( a laser printer) :-) not quite what I meant.

-- ¡spu?? ou '?? ?oo?

Jasen Betts

Huh? I'm not at all expert on this. So I asked here _many_ years ago. Made my settings as advised. Haven't had a lick of trouble.

Maybe one complaint a year that something can't be read.

On-screen as well.

Why is it you use UTF-8? ...Jim Thompson