Market for a GenCad .CAD to .DXF convertor?

Is there a market for a GenCad .CAD to .DXF convertor?

I've been asked to do a custom job to create a a GenCad .CAD to DXF convertor...in your opinions would there be a market for this in general?

Easy to use graphics effects:

Owen Ransen

What is the general use of a DXF file in electronic cad applications?

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

As I understand it the use would be in production, not in the actual design phase.

Easy to use graphics effects:

Owen Ransen

Typically DXF files are only used for transfer of ECAD information to mechanical CAD or alternate ECAD tools where there is no other transfer facility/format.

As for the conversion of GenCAD to DXF, GenCAD is universally poorly accepted. It is much less accepted than ODB++. Now the IPC talks about a newer version of GenCAD, they just don't learn. The new version will probably be panned by most tools/users also.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander.

Reply to
Brad Velander

I was thinking of using dxf files to transfer Gerber files to AutoCAD and using a component library for the parts. I see no real use for Inventor or Solid Works, at the moment.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

rly

nd

The Pulsonix software I use can import DXF or Gerber files and export GenCAD files, FWIW. I don't know how well it works, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Pulsonix, thanks!