Interesting Simulation Problem

[snip]

I'm always amused by your insistence to jump in with both feet and display your profound ignorance >:-}

Here's how the floating node situation comes about...

You design a circuit for "form, fit and function" (as they say :).

THEN: You go back and add switches (this is CMOS analog FYI) to put the circuit in sleep mode... extremely low leakage :-}

Which is why you never post circuits with component values ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

As opposed to designing it hazard-free in the first place. You'd make a great programmer, if you ever learned to program.

I have posted lots of circuits with values, including whole schematic sheets of actual products, and PCB photos. I've also posted lots of conceptual circuit doodles without values.

You mostly post circuits without circuits! Namely PDF waveform results without any circuit at all. Or just claims without content. And you almost never post netlists that other people can run and verify.

I share and discuss, you keep secrets and boast. Different personalities. No wonder we don't get along.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Pretty good weaseling, a B+ at least.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm a big fan of belt-and-suspenders, though, especially if it doesn't take any extra effort. Using gmin and split supplies, plus some simple script to parse the .op or .raw file, could be quite a good use of time.

Nobody's going to place and wire 20000 transistors by hand, so there has to be some combination of manual and automatic generation. Even using the greatest care, you could have some bug in your design software, misnamed nodes or something, and an automated way of finding that with zero effort would be pretty useful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

Place, yes, wire, no... wiring is usually automated (that's part of what LVS is all about... the netlist describes the connection), then the layout engineer rubber-bands and re-routes to suit.

Besides the whole 20,000 aren't done at once. I/C layout is by convention (and ease) done cell-by-cell. These days it is also common to have at least three metal (wiring) layers, or more.

Misnamed nodes isn't an issue (unless forced, node naming is automatic). Identifying those that can go wandering off is.

Hopefully I'll find a way to do this without splitting the supplies (necessary if you use the gmin approach). Splitting the supplies make me nervous because I keep running into modeling types that want to call the substrate node 0 (zero), when it should be...

?SUB|[@SUB]|~SUB|0|

which assigns substrate connection to node 0, _only_ if the substrate node isn't specifically declared.

Searching thru my symbol library to make sure I got that script correct I noticed that, in PSpice, I have 846 personalized symbols :-[ ...Jim Thompson

You don't have room to talk! Did you figure out that bloggs screw up yet?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

--
Look at all the sims I've posted - or even just one - and it should
be apparent, even to you, that you're talking out of your ass.

It does work as advertised - his claim is not at all believable.

Putting red LEDs in pairs with a basic resistor ballast hung off 6v will easily match or beat his suggested method. The buck converter on that step up ratio would be lucky to get 80% efficiency and is a lot more complex to implement.

PWM regulating of the current would be another choice. The losses could then be as low as Vsat.Imax plus dissipation in a smaller series resistor to ensure chains share current more or less equally.

Most LEDs can survive a higher pulsed current provided that their power dissipation is not exceeded. More of your supply voltage gets converted into light this way since Vf rises with increasing current.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

--
Bloggs' claim, yes
Reply to

And you still don't get it do you?

I hope you were never involved in any life saving applications when you were in the job force..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

--
Oh, the shame of it all.
Boo-hoo, I guess you're right...

Why don't you explain it to me?
Reply to
John Fields

I am glad you finally fest up to something.

And don't bother to reiterate on the original thread, it obviously slid under your radar.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

--
"Fest"???

Whoosh...
Reply to
John Fields

Useless.

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

--
Well, I see some progress has been made in that your verbosity has
decreased substantially, albeit still being bereft of worthwhile

Perhaps another shot or two will convince you to shut the fuck up
and rid us all of both problems.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields