Gate Deisgner?

Hi all,

Hopefully I'm not repeating a question asked many times before, but I did try to search the net and found no answers.

I'm interested in logic gates, and would like to know if there are any pieces of software out there that allows be "wire up" theoretical gates on the screen, edit the wiring, see what happens with certain inputs, etc. I'm not looking for a piece of software that does the wiring for actual physical components, just something that will allow me to connect an AND gate to a NOT, from an OR to a NAND, etc, to build up a logic diagram.

Any ideas?

Of course, in an ideal world, free is good... ;-)

--

QuickHare
Reply to

of

for

well for a beginner, I would suggest "Electronics WorkBench" there are others including free one's i'm sure others will tell you about .

That will give you an idea.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

of

Logic simulation software has been around for years. I used HiLo back in the 1980s.

Most design packages for programmable logic devices allow you to set up your logic design as a schematic, using a variety of of logic gate symbols, as well as various sorts of bistables, and many of these packages can be downloaded for nothing from the manufacturers web- sites - Lattice, Xilinx and Altera come to mind.

I tend to use Boolean equations rather than circuit diagrams, so I can't say anything useful about their schematic capture tools. The packages all include simulation software.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

of

for

and here comes one now! ^_^

The Beige Bag spice products include logic simulation and there's also an older, stand-alone logic simulator available. Demo versions (that revert to "Lite" versions after the trial period) are available at

#include

Just a satisfied customer who has been using BB products from the days when they really were packaged in little brown paper bags.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Download Quartus from Altera

With that you can build your logic out of primitives and simulate it. You need to register it, but its free.

Martin Riddle

In sci.electronics.cad QuickHare wrote: : I'm interested in logic gates, and would like to know if there are any pieces of : software out there that allows be "wire up" theoretical gates on the screen, : edit the wiring, see what happens with certain inputs, etc. I'm not looking for : a piece of software that does the wiring for actual physical components, just : something that will allow me to connect an AND gate to a NOT, from an OR to a : NAND, etc, to build up a logic diagram.

: Any ideas?

TkGate is free, open-source, and is likely at the feature/complexity level you want

Here's a screenshot:

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson

of

--------------------- See

for lots of fun.

Also, why not just get a white solderless protoboard and a power supply for $20 and some 25 cent gate chips from Rat Shack and have at it?

If worse comes to worse, use BASIC or any programming language and tie the propositions together with Boolean variables?

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000\'s of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions, they were all interesting. I was unable to find free versions of most things listed, and what I did find weren't Windows compatible.

I do program in BASIC myself, but I wanted something graphical to drag and drop about the place. TkGate seemed perfect for my needs, except it was Linux-based.

Not to worry, I shall continue my search. I have learned a few lessons from this, such as to look for "logic simulators" rather than "editors" and such like, so thanks for all your help! :)

I'll post back if I find anything worth sharing.

Thanks again!

--

QuickHare

Reply to
QuickHare

If you haven't already, use Google, to search for "logic simulator"

You might find what you are looking for.

--
Jack
Reply to

of

for

I like Logisim, free, easy to use, and cross-platform:

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

what

drop

switcher cad III (AKA LT-spice) has gates and flip-flops etc... and a fairly simple user inteface where you just draw lines on the screen to connect them. it's a free download from the linear technology website

The only problem is it doesn't do interactve input, but you can use programmed voltage sources instead.

Electronics workbench is easier in that you can do interactive input but the version I was exposed to seemed unstable.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I don't use it much anymore, but Tina has a large library of logic gates, including counters, shift registers, multiplexers, and decoder/drivers, and they have useful symbols for clickable logic level switches, LED displays, indicator lamps, and even a traffic light. I purchased their basic edition for about $30, but they have a free demo at

and a fairly good working version is available free at
Of course, they only have Texas Instruments logic ICs :)

These days, I do almost all my logic with PICs, but sometimes need external devices to drive displays, scan keyboards, analog muxing, and other functions.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

I would beware of cheap simulation software.

Not all software takes into consideration all the real world factors and you could end up with a complex piece of logic that simply does not work.

For anything of decent size I would use a professional package. I have done quite a bit of work with FPGA's.

Reply to
Marra

I used to work with a guy who used to say "just wire it up" ;-) . I assume the OP wants a simulator because it may be more efficient. I agree with the poster who suggested Quartus: you can simulate a synchronous design functionally. When finished, you can even build it in the FPGA.

OP - If you're a programmer, I recommend Palnitkar's Verilog book. Forget about the gates: for a large design, the HDL type languages are faster and easier to manage.

Frank Raffaeli

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

what

drop

If you are still looking, try googling for: CircuitMaker 6 Student Its free for student use, runs on Windows 9x up, supports up to 50 components in a circuit and in its digital simulation mode switches and indicators are fully animated so just point and click to test your circuit.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &