Creating a device in Eagle

I don't use Eagle, so I can't help with your first questions.

If this thing is to connect to the PC board, you need some sort of footprint or group of pads for it to connect to.

For off-board components I usually use a row of pads for the footprint

- they don't have to match the arrangement of terminals on the device (although sometimes they do - my footprint for a DPDT switch is a 3 x

2 array of pads, arranged in the same way as the switch terminals).
--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

manual first, tutorials second, you did read them didn't you? you can ask in news.cadsoft.de, which has english groups, i'm there. you can also say 'gee, i read them things and i still can't get it' then i'll give you the answers.

--
Using Opera\'s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to

I did my first schematic in Eagle last night. I wanted to show a piezo device (the CUI Inc CEP-1136, see

so I thought I'd build a device, symbol and package for it. Not unlike the F/SU in buzzer.lbr.

I have it most of the way there, but I can't work out how to rename the pins on the symbol or the package. I seem to have two sets of pin names?! Possibly because I placed the pins the wrong way around at first and had to pick them up and rotate. There's also some green text I didn't ask for on the three pins, saying "I/O 0". Why, and how can I change it? I'd like to renumber pins also.

One other thing, this isn't really a footprint, as the package has three lead wires, it doesn't PC-mount. So I dropped three "pads" on the package where the wires come out. I guess that's ok, except the DRC will want to know why I haven't placed it - won't it? I also want to rename these pins.

I've dropped the LBR in a.b.s.e, in case it's of use to anyone.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

i do similar, but for rotary switches i leave the pads within the device outline, then i route near the device, then i slap on a pad which i then rename to the net, route to, works fine.

--
Using Opera\'s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
jim dorey

Use the 'namer thingy' tool to rename pins. It looks like a little resistor with R2 and 10k above and below it.

You can change the visibility of the pins by editing the symbol. Use the little 'wrench thingy', select 'visibility', and then 'off'.

To change the names of pins, edit the symbol, and then you can just click on them with the 'namer thingy' selected, and a dialog pops up. The namer thingy has a button that looks like a resistor with R2 and 10k on it.

Eagle has a bizarre interface. Learning it is like learning to type on a dvorak keyboard.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

from Kevin Bolding, Instructor, Seattle Pacific University

JeffM

Thanks all. I was confused by the device pins and pads both having names. If it's any use to anyone, I posted the updated library to a.b.s.e.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath