STEP file, which viewer?

Folks,

Got a file in "STEP" format from a client. Yet another drawing format ...

So how can I make this visible on a Windows PC? There seem to be a gazillion viewers. Which one is good and, most of all, clean. Clean as in no viruses, nasty nagware, low intrusiveness, reasonable footprint.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Had the same problem on March 4. It's some kind of mechanical drawing. Since the client wanted an IBIS model, which you don't do with a mechanical drawing, I tossed it back. But several people here referred me to viewers I didn't save that info :-(

I'm sure they'll come forth. ...Jim Thompson

eDrawings, free download from SolidWorks. Views Autocad files, too.

It's fun to play with, 3D rotations and stuff. Unlike the full SolidWorks, it only lets you look at an object from outside, although you can sometimes peek inside through windows or holes.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I have that. Result: Unsupported File Type :-(

Clicking on "check for updates" it says that I've got the newest version. Can you check yours under the tabs Help -> About? I have

10.2.0.122 from Dassault.

It sure is fun but so far it's only worked with SolidWorks files. For the other stuff I bought a 3D CAD program but that can't read *.step files either.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

STEP is kind of universal mechanical data exchange file format. Actually an ISO standard. I find it surprising that eDrawings and your other CAD program can't read them. I would consider whether the files might be corrupted. Or ask the client whether he/she is sure that the files are really in a step format.

As already suggested eDrawings should do the trick. Any fully featured CAD program should also be able to read them, if it really is a STEP file. Regarding a dedicated STEP viewer, judging from hearsay (never used it myself) STP Viewer is recommended.

Kind regards, Klaus Bahner

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

Oops, sorry, that views Solidworks but not STEP.

We have SolidWorks. Send me your file and I'll convert it.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Try CAD Exchanger from

The basic GUI version is (so far, still) free; he does charge for the SDK to integrate into other products. It won't do mesh-to-solid conversion (e.g., STL to ACIS) and it doesn't include dimensioning tools but it's a pretty decent viewer.

Reply to
Rich Webb

I think I have used IDA-Step in the past. There are some others I tried but I'd have to fire up my windows box and look. Maybe stp viewer. No time right now.

duckduckgo free step file viewer

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Well, save the gazillion+1 sofware install... When I face such things and don't have to work with the file (other than have a look/print) I just ask them to make a pdf.

Isn't that supposed to be 'the' tool after all?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

stlviewer (from sourceforge) - nice small footprint.

Reply to
JM

Are you sure?

In my experience you can look inside, hide some parts in an assembly, make parts transparent, take cross sections, make measurements. All with the free viewer.

This is when viewing solidworks .EASM files, don't know about other formats.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I have sent at least one person to

and they've been happy.

Watch out for the sponsored ad fake download buttons on the site.

Most of the good free 3D model viewer programs are tied to the native file format of an MCAD system like eDrawings (SolidWorks) or Inventor Viewer (AutoCad Inventor).

For one-shot use, I tend to scan for malware (upload to

but I think that file's too big, and install on a VMWARE virtual machine.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Section" slices a thing in half, but it seems to still view from outside. It would be cool to go inside and look around. I don't know how to do that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Rhino3D has a free trial version.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

STL |= STP does it do both?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

My mistake - it's STL only. I use Rhino for STEP.

Reply to
JM

Thanks for all responses. I've tried IDA and another. Won't work. IDA doesn't even have a proper file open menu, just some obscure import thingie that doesn't seem to function. Time to ditch this STEP stuff and I asked them what Fred said, to send the stuff in a more common format.

I have no idea why on earth we need new file formats all the time. PDF, Gerber, DOC and DXF is all the EE world really needs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I am not going to try any more, unless I really, really have to :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to