Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

Reflecting on that recent post on the Jaycar 'valve' amp, and how piss-weak the current valve fad is compared to how things used to be when valves were useful rather than trendy. The biggest valves around these days in commercial audiophool gear seem to be EL34s or something similar, which are scarcely worth a sniff if you're talking power, or brag value.

If any of these guys is for real, where are the pushpull 4-400As with 3KV on the anodes? And wouldn't some of these guys get their rocks off from 872A MV rectifiers rather than boring Silicon diodes, watching the flickering blue light as the music goes up and down.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Sorry Bruce, not quite an on topic reply....I lifted this link from S.E.D., not sure if its been on aus.electronics yet. It shows hand fabrication of a valve.

Den

Or a pair of forced air cooled 4CX3500s?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

**Now that's more like it. Much better than all those "girly valves". They don't provide the warm, friendly glow that appeals to the nutters though.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The 4X3500 would be glass, instead of ceramic, but the glass versions of the 4Xxxxx family tended to melt, and didn't have a warm glow, they lit the room.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:37:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Speaking of lighting the room with a valve, I wonder what kind of effect you would get if you modulated the RGB cathodes in a CRT with audio instead of video (R=woofer, G=mid-range, B=tweeter), and the G2 grid with volume, either directly at the gun, or via the video signal source.

:-)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

That depends on whether you still have vertical & horizontal sweep. Without them you would saturate a small spot near the center of the screen, and quickly burn out the phosphors. Even if you disabled the focus, it wouldn't fill the whole screen. I have played with applying 1 volt of audio to the video input of a video keyer unit at a B&W TV station. Sine waves looked like horizontal bowling ins, due to the missing DC offset. Triangle & Square waves just created garbage.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ak

re

re

on

72A

This is my guitar amplifier, I think it qualifies as being bigger than an EL34.

ntertainment

ntertainment

Geoff

Reply to