PSU for valves

I thought I'd experiment with a few valve circuits (just for fun). So I'll need an H.T. power supply and I'm looking at this:

It supplies up to 300V at 60mA. My question is, is 60mA sufficient?

-- When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to induce him to a negative judgment, he replied: "My situation is so different from his, that it is not for me to pass judgment". Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays

Reply to
Peter

Probably Ok for pre-amp valves but not for power amps.

Reply to
RheillyPhoull

------------------

** That is clearly a regulated lab supply for experiments in physics. Major overkill for playing about with tube circuits. Expensive too.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Can you recommend an alternative?

--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
induce him to a negative judgment, he replied: "My situation is
so different from his, that it is not for me to pass judgment".
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Reply to
Peter

Peter wrote: ============

** FSS build something - takes about one hour of time

One transformer, one bridge rectifier and one or two electros. Get yourself a Variac too. You can run heaters on a 6V battery.

If you cannot manage that, you have no place fiddling with tube circuits.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hey Pete, Read this one

Reply to
RheillyPhoull

============

** Then forget it.

Even worse overkill than the lab supply.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're such a bugger when you criticize Phil :-)

Reply to
RheillyPhoull

RheillyPhoull wrote: ====================

** ...... ;-0

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thank you. That's really helpful. Looking at the first circuit diagram, any thoughts about the value of the pi filter choke? Also, looking at the second circuit diagram, the swinging choke is marked 20H, but the smoothing choke has no value given. Any thought about that?

--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
induce him to a negative judgment, he replied: "My situation is
so different from his, that it is not for me to pass judgment".
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Reply to
Peter

But I'll have the fun (let's hope) of building it myself.

-- When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to induce him to a negative judgment, he replied: "My situation is so different from his, that it is not for me to pass judgment". Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays

Reply to
Peter

** Building what ?

Did you even read the page at all ?

The author is Australian and known to me, he has long history of being a crank.

So you have a pal.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thank you for your email. I tried to reply to it, but my reply bounced.