USB 2.0 manual mechanical Switch

Hi there, not sure if this is the right NG, I have a Q in regards to computer electronics :-)

I am trying to put together a manual USB 2.0 switch, one output to four inputs (or viceversa). I use:

One Female A USB connector PCB Four Female B USB connectors PCB One four-way three contact rotary switch make-before-break (from Jaycar El'nics)

To test, I have wired just one output and the input to the switch. However when I try to connect the USB printer through it, I get 'Unrecognized device' on the PC and the printer does not work . WHY ?? This is purely a four-way contact - well actually the USB grounds are tied together and only

+5V, Data A and Data B are switched.

So I wonder, why does it not work ? It is a dumb manual switch. Another switch I bought that uses semicon switching and a touch button is claimed to be USB 2 but the PC always says it is USB1.1. How does it realise it is USB

1.1, and how it knows that my connection is not good ? I have wired straight thru and also tried to reverse the data connections, to no avail.

Any ideas pls ? Do I have to connect any capacitors etc somewhere in my manual switch ? BTW the manual switches you can buy are ugly and huge, but basically the same; A rotary switch and many USB connectors. So what do i do wrong ?

Many thanks

Reply to
AdvarP

You really want break before make, otherwise you will get data colliding on the bus.

Also, USB is fairly fussy about the condition of the data on the bus, so you will need to keep everyting as short as possible. You are gettting into an are that will more likely cause you greif rather than success. Its pretty much the same reason as why your purchsed 2.0 switch will only run at 1.1

You would be honestly better off spending the money on a decent quality unit that probably terminates the bus correctly when switching.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Why manual? You can get 4 port USB 2.0 hub for around $15, I've seen some at my local Woollies supermarket. You'll probably spend more on parts...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The USB bus operates at a high frequency and requires properly terminates lines, and properly laid out PCB tracks etc. If you add a switch you upset all this it may or may not work depending on how careful you've been with your wiring. USB1.1 is lower speed so you may get it to work for that, but USB2.0 would be much harder with a manual switch.

Why do you need a manual switch anyway?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

What is your application? Why do you want to switch manually when hubs do it automatically?

It says there's an unrecognised device connected because the drivers for the printer aren't installed.

USB hubs and other components are powered either by the +5V from the USB port on your pc, or by another power supply inside your equipment, ie printer. So, if you're switching the +5V, and data lines on and off with a manual switch, you would be getting corrupt data from the USB device because of the bouncing of the switch contacts.

You've probably got the port connected to a USB1.1 port. Either that, or you have connected to a USB2.0 port, and there is signal degradation so the USB controller switches to a lower speed.

Get yourself a USB hub. They are low cost, and are designed to switch data to different devices as needed, without having messy manual switching.

Jaycar have the following hubs which they say comply with USB2.0

4 port XC-4824 @ $29.95 7 port XC-4823 @ $49.95

Then again, some of the computer shops will be likely to have cheaper hubs.

Reply to
dmm

Short the unused ones with a 10kohm resistor across the data and you should see improvement.

Reply to
Dac

"Dac" wrote

Short the unused ones with a 10kohm resistor across the data and you should see improvement.

***** Could someone explain how does one "short" anything with a 10k resistor?

The mind boggles.

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

EASY !! Just apply it across 66kv mains.

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

. . .

Cut one wire off the resistor.

Solder one end of the wire to one of the pins.

Solder the other end of the wire to the other pin you want to short.

Wrap the rest of the resistor carefully in tissue paper.

Chuck the wrapped resistor in the bin.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

The same way you "short" something with a zero ohm resistor.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" wrote > ***** Could someone explain how does one "short" anything with a 10k

The same way you "short" something with a zero ohm resistor.

Dave :)

***Ha ha!!!! :-)

If it is Zero Ohms,it has NO resistance therefore it cannot be called a "Resistor".

Brian G.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

Yet one can buy a "zero ohm resistor"

Even a zero ohm resistor has *some* resistance. So when you "short" something you are actually just using a very low value resistance.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

how

Yet, as I'm sure you know, they're not an uncommon component, and supplied by most, if not all manufacturers of resistors.

Reply to
Poxy

Hi, many thanks for all the answers :-)

I need a USB switch for the following reason:

I have a 2PC network. I have bought a Canon PIXMA MP760 Multifunction which is USB2 but not network enabled. I have avoided the HP network-enabled multifunction (because I heard its s'ware was terrible - anyway, now I may regret that a bit).

I have now got a D-Link router with USB print server. Thius works great for pirnting but NOT for scanning or mem card reading.

So to be able to scan from both machines, I need to shift the USB cable from one to another. I do NOT believe I can use a USB hub - can I really ? That would be nice, I have not tried - so i would connect the input to the hub tio the printer and the outputs to the 2 PCs ? I do not think this would work. - hmm

Anyway, the 'manual' switch comprises the *break before make* (sorry I got it wrong first time) rotary, 3 way 4 positions and the connectors.

In the meantime I also got the wizz-bang ATEN US-421 4 port USB2 switch. Well this one has all the features including hotkey switchign and software switching and you name it, BUT one of the PCs still cannot scan. Scanning stops and I get 'connection lost'. The other PC has no probs. Both use PCI USB cards so I am lost as to the cause of the prob - but that is off topic I guess.

So the answer is NO because USB2.0 needs proper 'termination' ? Meaning what ? a 10k resistor from Data A to Data B on each port EXCEPT the one being switched on ? That is a bit hard to do with the rotary.

In the end if I did get the HP I did not need all this. The HP also works wirelessly I understand, so the wire crossing the room would not be there. Ughhh. On the other hand there is a new Canon wireless printer available now !

Many thanks

----- Original Message ----- From: "AdvarP" Newsgroups: aus.electronics Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 11:20 PM Subject: USB 2.0 manual mechanical Switch

Reply to
AdvarP

!

Jaycar have a share switch, which may be what you require.

XC-4862 @ $59.95

It allows 2 pcs to communicate with up to 4 USB devices, and is USB 2.0 compliant.

Reply to
dmm

Yes I looked at that but I though for the same money I cvan get the ATEN US-421 which also has hotkey switching and software switching. Maybe the Jaycar one works, but for how long am i going to try stuff \? I am thinking of getting the MP800R in fact and ditch the MP760 and end this kind of prob once for all.

Thank you

Reply to
AdvarP

. . .

How can that be the same? You would need a zero ohm 10k resistor. Try asking for one of those at DSE - you could get an interesting reaction.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

I get an interesting reaction when I ask for most things I want from DSE :-)

I saw zero ohm resistors in the mid 70's, used on DEC PDP/11 computer boards. Yes, it was simply a shorting link, but an offical part with a part number.

Used for board configuration, much the same as you now use shorting blocks (or links) and header pins to hardware select drive config for instance.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:59:33 GMT, "Poxy" put finger to keyboard and composed:

They even come with a datasheet.

For example, here's a datasheet for a Vishay zero ohm (metal film?) resistor: http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/vishay/frj5055.pdf

The maximum resistance is 10 milliohm, and the max current is 25A at

25 degC and zero amps at 150 degC.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

. . .

So at 150 degC you have a zero amp zero ohm resistor. Maybe you can use it as a zero amp fuse?