usb 2.0 micromodule

Hi,

I will send 16 bit/pixel video data from PC to a FPGA board through USB 2.0 interface.

Data should be continuous and stable for accurate frame timing. I would like to ask questions to people who have used USB 2.0 at High Speed (480 Mbit/sec)

Can an ordinary (cheap) PC with USB 2.0 supported motherboard send data continously and stable? Windows or Linux are not realtime OSs Can they send data at 480Mbit/sec through USB ?

Without dealing with usb internal data structure, headers etc, is it possible to send pure video signal from PC to module? I mean no other information than video.. So easy to handle...(i think..)

To get this data Do i need to implement usb or utmi specifications at FPGA? I think Trenz electronic's Micromodule is suitable for this. It has a USB physical interface ic GT3200.

Has anybody used it for this kind of job?

(By the way when i said video i mean sequence of BMP files, no compression)

Thanks,

yusuf

Reply to
tesla

AFAIK the micromodule has only been used with Rudolf Usselmanns USB1.1 core so far. But there is no reason why the 2.0 core should not work on the board. We have not tried it yet because the interface to the 2.0 core is more complicated.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Hi Kolja

ASAIK you are a person who should know what has been tested on the micromodule (at least what has been tested internally by Tranz Electronics). As the micro module has snipped-for-privacy@fpga.de in the toplayer and fgpa.de domain belongs to you :)

So from what you just said its weird and surprising, if I am understanding you correctly a commercial hardware product from Trenz has not been tested with USB IP Endpoint IP core from Trenz? And only tested with free IP Core from ASICS World Services that has been made available for free out of courtesy of Rudolf Usselman? On the Trenz website Trenz USB IP Core is still listed as current product - I wonder why it has not been tested on the micromodule. Well the world still has its small surprises ;)

The USB 2.0 HS core would not be as easy to setup as the 1.1 core, just a friendly hint.

The 1.1 core ASICS it sure is easy to setup, I have tested it on some Memec board with P160 Comm 1 module.

Hm I was about to test the ASICS 1.1 core on micromodule, but hence its already done by Trenz then I wonder if that design will be made publicly available? It is based on free IP Core so I seen no reason why it should not be included in the demo package supplied with S3 micromodule specially as the current demo and ipcores are published under GPL license

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

friendly hint.

Hi,

Is it possible to use only physical interface of USB?

No standart USB handshake, no ACK-NACK, no control signals, no CRC. No USB protocol layer. No USB core functions..

Just high data tranfer

Is it possible/easy?

I'm asking because when i read SMSC GT3200 Phy ic datasheet, i understand reading and writing to USB port (physically) is very simple.

What about PC software. Can we access usb without handshakes, controls etc.?

thanks,

yusuf

Reply to
tesla

Yes and no. The GT3200 is UTMI PHY so it would sync on valid SYNC and receive whatever comes afer that and on transmit similarly. A custom protocol could be implemented. Thats on the GT3200 side.

On the PC side its almost a FULL NO to your question. Depending on the host controller this may or may not pe physically possible, and even if it is, then would require custom very specific low level driver.

Easeir would be to makea very simple PCI board with GT3200 and use it as PHY only that would be possible.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats