Tektronix scopes catching fire (Lithium-Ion battery strikes again)

If anybody has a Tektronix TDS30xx of TDS30xxB oscilloscope you should read on...

This afternoon I had a phone call asking me to urgently contact all the customers we had ever sold a TDS3BAT or TDS3BATB battery to, it seems that there have been a few Tek scopes catching fire because of the Lithium-Ion battery. Tektronix are asking anyone that has one of the batteries in their scope to remove it immediately and not use it again until they can figure out what corrective action they need to take. If you want to read the Product safety notice there is a link on the homepage of our website.

duncan

** The link is inactive and there seems to be nothing on the Tek web site about it.

Very peculiar.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Works fine for me:

Yes there is:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** Dead as a maggot for me, and many others.

** Totally buried.

What a pathetic way to issue a safety re-call.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I agree that it is a crap way of letting people know about a safety issue like this. When the guy from TekMark (the Malaysian & Australian Tektronix agent) he said that Tek had nominated them to contact locate anyone that might be effected however Tektronix have a web based product registration system which they haven't given them access to. The situation if further complicated by the fact that TekMark have only been operating for about a year in Australia so they have limited records of possible customers effected.

Anyway I love to see a picture of the results of one of these battery explosions, I can't seem to get the image out of my head of a melting plastic case with flames coming out the top...

Cheers Duncan

Reply to
duncan

"Phil Allison" "David L. Jerkoff "

** Claytons would be proud of it.

** A very public warning is the only appropriate and legally safe way.

Fraid it is ALSO the most damaging to delicate reputations.

** Typical "geeky" fascination with smoke, flames and explosions emanating from expensive piles of technology.

Bet you are an avid "Mythbusters" viewer .

- like me.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yet you thought the iPhone smoothie last month was puerile? Bet if Jamie and Adam did it you would think it was fun.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I read in the local MX 2 days ago that an iPod nano caught in fire in some kids pocket, it too used lithium cells. At the last company i worked for I had a dell battery recalled for the same reason.

Reply to
The Real Andy

"The Real Andy" "Phil Allison"

** Could it be, that famous remark made by Mae West in " My Little Cheikadee" will now have to be updated ??

Updated to:

" Is that an iPod in your pocket - or have you REALLY got he hots for me ?? "

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison