Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Here we go again.......

Reply to
John

I guess I won't be upgrading my eyepatch of Soundforge anytime, as Sony bought it a while back.

Reply to
SG1

Sony should run an advertising campaign telling consumers that it is safer to pirate music online than to buy Sony CDs in the shops.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

At least Sony has the balls to make an attempt to protect there own interests.

And

Shows a perfect reason as to why software patents are a joke.

Reply to
The Real Andy

What ? By taking ownership of your PC because you bought a music CD.

Not even Bill has that much arrogance - he's close tho.

Reply to
Colin ®

By installing a security issue onto your PC without your knowledge or consent? And someone wishing to play a CD on their PC doesn't make them a pirate, it's a generalisation based on a false assumption.

Fuck Sony, piratebay it is.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Re: aus.computers

Rootkits are bad. This is no paranoia, that people are concerned that Sony/other crackers might abuse the computers that been 'owned'.

Though, I do question the use of this article as a source of information with their use of hacker meaning cracker, because quite plainly, people who abuse the rootkit are crackers.

Reply to
Flashes of Sky

Put yourself in Sony's situation. You have something that everyone else wants. Everyone goes out of there way to steal what you own. What do you do? Me personally, i dont sit back and let people steal what i own.

So, what can you do? A third party company comes up with an idea to protect your interest. What would you do? Would you say 'No, I prefer people to keep stealing what I own, what I paid for' or would you say, I will give it a go?

What would you do? Everyone is quick to bag Sony, but no one seems to understand why they are doing this.

BTW. I am not saying what they do is right, but in their favour, they are only trying to protect what they rightfully own.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Two wrongs don't make a right.

They don't rightfully own your PC though they think they do by installing malware.

Fuck Sony, I'm never buying any of their crap again.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Yep, I understand and agree they have a perfect right to protect their property.

The argument is about how they completely ignored the buyers rights and overstepped what is ethically ( at the very least) reasonable - even in todays world.

Reply to
Colin ®

noone was stealing anything from Sony. Copyright infringement is not theft.

one would hope that they'd consult some experts before rolling out stealth software.

when the guard dog becomes a public nuisance the guard dog must go.

They should be more carefull, So far all they've managed is to convince some people that it's safer not to buy CDs. Not exactly the result they wanted.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:09:29 +0000 (UTC), Flashes of Sky put finger to keyboard and composed:

I wonder if two rootkits could coexist on the same machine. Both would be trying to gain control of the OS kernel. It would be interesting ...

I sympathise with those whose IP is being stolen - they have a right to expect that their interests will be protected. OTOH a consumer has the right to expect that the price he pays for a product will not be subverted by anticompetitive practices such as region coding, or restrictions on parallel importing. Sony can't have it both ways. They certainly don't have the right to take control of someone else's property.

I like to think of myself as an occasional hacker. Getting a piece of hardware or software to do things it wasn't designed to do is a buzz. A hacker is the ultimate lateral thinker, whereas a cracker is just a smart crim. It's unfortunate that the two terms are used interchangeably.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I actually agree and understand your sentiment in part......

Having said that some other less intrusive form of protection could have been implemented...... Perhaps copying only on the computer that the disc is played? Some kind of encoding that only works on 1 computer......

How about the music CD has a small portion set as writeable and once inserted into a PC it would encode to that particular PC and allow copying but ONLY on that PC........

Reply to
John

Yeah, i think that has already been proven in court. Mind you, if _you_ spend millions signing and recording some artist and distributing their music, you have an investment. If I stole your investment would you be happy?

They did, the experts were wrong. The experts supplied the software. Sony did not write the software.

Perhaps. But if there never was a guard dog we would never know.

I guess the police pulling me up for an RBT is a nuisence, i guess we should get rid of the police too.

I doubt very much that this will affect the business significantly.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Rootkits don't take over the kernel. they just modify it to mask their existance. much like the "stealth visuses" of old.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Too much bother to go to for what ammounts to a pretense of copy- protection...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I'd make sure I understood what I was getting before spending millions.

Gee, I' wonder if they'd be intersted in buying this bridge I have here.

--jasen@clunker:~$ man sn | grep moder Reformatting sn(8), please wait... jasen@clunker:~$ man sn jasen@clunker:~$ man snsend Reformatting snsend(8), please wait... jasen@clunker:~$ less /var/spool/sn/dot-outgo- /var/spool/sn/dot-outgo-: No such file or directory jasen@clunker:~$ less /var/spool/sn/ .chain .fifo .newsgroup .outgoing .table

0 4 alt.b>

I'd make sure I understood what I was getting before spending millions.

Those were the wrong ecperts to give an objective assessment of the software.

me neither.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

What a pitty Sony don't stick to what used to be their core business - electronics.

Maybe they wouldn't be churning out the unreliable crap that they do now.

Reply to
David