Baloney! No Sony! Pass it on.

Subject: Baloney! No Sony! Pass it on.

If you've bought a CD or DVD from Sony lately, this article is of interest to you.

It's a highly technical article, but what it amounts to is that as an >"anti-piracy" measure, Sony BMG is selling CDs and DVDs that infect your >operating system with a "RootKit": a group of programs that can't be >deleted or even detected unless you're an expert. > >The Sony CD in question, if you try to play it in your computer, covertly >installs system-level software without warning you and then tries to hide >it from you. It also apparently opens holes that leave your operating >system open to other viruses and spyware. > >

People can do without a lot of things and still be happy, but two things we absolutely must have: a strong desire to make something happen, and the belief that we are making some progress, however small.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Probably not, because they found the rootkit during the process of attempting to terminate the license (removing the software). No intent to circumvent, no crime.

Yes, because no rootkits have *ever* been written for Linux, and there are no American tanks in Baghdad.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

::Sony BMG is selling CDs and DVDs ::that infect your [Windoze] operating system with a "RootKit" ::

The Google cache of the article with the most salient points highlighted: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:TS33qi5GWaMJ:

*-rootkit-*-*-associated-*-*-*-*+*-First-4-*-DRM-*+underhanded+sloppily-*+malware+hide-files-Registry-*-*-*-*-*+from-diagnostic-*-security-software+purchased-*-*-recently+*-can-only-be-played-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-itself+cripple-*-computer+Sony-ships-*-*-*+*-means-*-uninstall+*-mention-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-couldn-*-*+Sony-BMG

Reply to
JeffM

I wonder if the probing around the folks at sysinternals.com did could be considered a violation of the DMCA?

Answer: Run Linux.

If you can\'t beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
                                -- George Carlin
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.