dumb cell phone question

I have a Casio Rock flip phone that I really like, mainly because it's
indestructable. I think they demoed it by running over it with a jeep.

But the charging connector is flakey. If I buy another one on ebay or
something, can I pull the microSD flash chip from the old one and poke
it into the newer one, and have everything work like before, same
phone number and provider and all that? Is the entire state of the
phone stored on the SDcard?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: dumb cell phone question

no, the SD card is just extra storage

on GSM phones the phone number (and if you tick all the right boxes the
contact list etc.) is on the simcard, not so simple with most US phones afa
iu

around here there a several phone repair shops, but it is hardly worth it f
or such and ancient phone, just go get a new one

-Lasse

Re: dumb cell phone question

My guess is not.  Most phone have the SIM (build-in or not) and uSD cards separate.  To test it, does the phone connects to the network with the uSD card removed?  If it does, the SIM is build-in.

Most phone carrier will let you swap phone with just a call.  Why not call them?

Re: dumb cell phone question

As mentioned, it's all in the CIM card.

When we bought our new smart phones, the shop we bought them from was
able to suck all of the stuff out of the old phones and put it in the new
ones.

So maybe choose a reputable seller (Car Toys up here; I don't know if
they're Portland only or all over) and ask.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I don't think this phone has one.

I could go to the Verizon store, but it's hard to park there. I was
hoping I could do it at home. That's what the bad guys did in "The
Wire."

I suppose I'll get another smart phone some day, but I always manage
to break the screen, jamming it into my pocket with keys and swiss
army knives and stuff. The Rock seems to be unbreakable. I really only
want a dumb phone.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: dumb cell phone question

Maybe you need an autonomous vehicle so it can hang around while you go
in the store, no parking spot needed.

--

Rick

Re: dumb cell phone question

All mobile phones have a SIM card usually hidden in a metal clip under
the battery (except in phones with no removable battery when there is
some cunning way of inserting it safely after prizing off the back).

SIM cards look a bit like thinner credit card thickness sD cards so
perhaps that is where your confusion stems from.

The SIM allows the network parameters and phone number to be configured
from new. Often networks will issue an entirely new SIM with the right
physical form factor for a new phone and then transfer the old phone
number onto the new SIM. During the changeover you will have two live
mobile phone numbers until the system catches up.

They will even move your contact numbers across for you but synching
content onto other media or the cloud is a wise precaution.

Moving the SIM into another phone is trivial and should work provided
that the destination phone is either unlocked or locked to the same
network. In the UK you can find any number of phone & DVD player
unlocking practitioners on the high street but in the "land of the free"
it is almost certainly against the DMCA to unlock them.

Also over here you can buy a new SIM at any supermarket checkout.
DIY transfer of your old number to your new SIM is possible too.

If you are unsure a decent dealer will do it for you on the spot (though
they will probably try and sell you a new smart phone).

Martin Brown

Re: dumb cell phone question

only for GSM, 4G LTE etc., CDMA doesn't use sim cards

-Lasse

Re: dumb cell phone question
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:07:22 -0800, John Larkin

I maintain about 10 assorted Casio G'zOne handsets in use by the local
building contractors.  Mostly Rock C731 variety.  Exactly which model
do you have and who's the provider?  The charging connectors and
repair issues are quite different from model to model:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=casio+g 'zone&tbm=isch>

Try cleaning it with a dry piece of cardboard, like a business card.
Just wipe it across the connection wires.  Also, check if there are
any wires out of place.  Put your Mantis microscope to good use. Also,
look for dust and pocket lint inside the connector and remove with a
clean brush.

No.  The microSD card is strictly for storing movies, photos, music,
backups, junk, etc.  You would need a SIM or MicroSIM card.

If you're on Verizon, all you need to do is turn off the old phone and
dial *228 on the new phone.  Hit "1" to program the phone.  It will
walk you through instructions on how to activate a new phone.  It will
ask for a security code, such as the last 4 digits of your SSN or
something off the monthly bill.  When done, it will reboot.  You might
want to do it again, this time hitting "2" to update the PRL
(preferred roaming list).  It will not transfer the phone numbers that
are stored in the phone, only those saved on the MicroSD card.

I keep a spare phone in the car just in case I lose or forget my usual
phone.  To avoid driving back to pickup the forgotten phone, I just do
the *228 trick on the spare phone, and I'm back in business.

I've have difficulties fixing these phones for an odd reason.  I can't
find a screwdriver to dissemble them.  Depending on the model, they
use either a tri-wing or 4-wing affair, that looks like a Philips
screwdriver, but with 3 or 5 instead of the usual 4 wings.  As far as
I can determine, the screwdrivers don't exist for mere mortals.

About a year ago, I bought a lot of 10 Casio G'zOne Rock phones on
eBay for about $30.  I knew that all of them had a problem, but I
figured I could tear them apart and make at least 3 working phones
from the parts.  That never happened because of the screwdriver
problem.  Incidentally, 5 of the phones had power connector problems.

Re: dumb cell phone question

Three point torx is unusual, but five point is not.  For example, this one from amazon:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Re: dumb cell phone question
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:54:41 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

It's NOT a Torx head.  It's like a Philips screw head, but with 3 or 5
winds.  Also known as a "Y-Type" tip (not a "tri-wing").
<
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/TriWing-and-Y-Type-screwdriver-bits-and-screw-heads.jpg

Lower right, but much smaller.

The problem is that all of the tips and sets I've wasted money on
buying have a #1 Y-type (or misnamed tri-wing) tip.  The phone needs a
#0, which doesn't seem to exist.  I've bought two sets that claim to
provied a #0, but they appear to really be #1.  Needless to say, the
designation of these "security" screws have not been standardized and
are probably a Casio exclusive.
Re: dumb cell phone question
snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com says...

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Sizes/dp/B00EDRC31K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid14%51787078&sr=8-4&keywords=y1
+tri+wing+screwdriver

Y000 to Y5

Re: dumb cell phone question
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 21:16:16 -0500, M Philbrook

Good find and now on order.  That certainly wasn't available when I
was shopping for them about 6 months ago.  Thanks.

Re: dumb cell phone question

Argh.  The Amazon order page proclaims that it's an "add-on item"
which I can't order unless I also order something else over $25.  No
thanks.  So, I got these instead:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Not as nicely machined, but might work.

Re: dumb cell phone question

The tri-thing screwdriver set arrived today.  The Y000 and Y00 drivers
almost fit the screw heads on the Casio Cz'One Rock phones.  I managed
to extract all the screws from one of the phones.  I don't think I can
reinsert the screws.  Progress, I guess.

On the box of screwdrivers is inscribed:
  Silverhill Tools gives you 8 sizes in one set.  Please note
  that the sizes represented in this bit set are relative to
  each other and may correlate to the other 2 triwing sizing
  standards that exist on the market.  Some sizes have been
  redesigned to provide naming consistency within the set

Three "standards"?  Huh?  It would appear that Silverhill Tools has
run into the same fit problem, and shipped me their best guess and
least disgusting compromise.  I'll probably end up grinding my own
tri-thing bits.  Meanwhile, I think I can throw together at least one
working phone from the pieces within a week or two.
<
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/Casio%20GzOne/Casio%20GzOne%20Rock.jpg

To be continued, time and blood pressure permitting.

Re: dumb cell phone question

The Y type is Tri-Point, not Tri-Wing. Sizing designations are pretty
crazy as you found.

Pretty sure this set has both the #1 and the #0:
<https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022-1 or
<http://www.frys.com/product/8298416

Fry's had the iFixit on promo code a while back and I got one of these
sets for about $18.

Also see
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Silverhill-Tools-ATKYB-Triwing-Bit-Set-8-Bits-Sizes-Y000-Y5-/360890470451?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
though I don't like the idea of the standard handle size which is too
big for the smaller bits.

Re: dumb cell phone question

The tri point and wing designations are just as mixed as are the
various numbered sizes.  In addition, the angle of the point varies
from about 60 to 120 degrees.  I bought one set that where the tips
fit, but mangled the screw head or tip (I forgot which).

I bought this similar set, which had the wrong point angle.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/151432458082
I thought that the driver specified in metric (Y2.0, Y2.5) might work.
Bad fit.  I don't really want to try the iFixit set unless I can first
see a picture of the relevent tips.

Same problem here:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/141837630301
Notice the roughly 60 degree point angle.

Those are all tri-wing, which have the spiral design near the tip. You
can see the spiral in the magnified view.

I also tried to contact Casio-Hitachi for information on obtaining
proper drivers.  No response.  Also, later models use a standard T5
Torx driver.

Thanks for trying.

Re: dumb cell phone question

How about trying here? ISHIMARU DENKI MAIN STORE AKIHABARA

Ishimaru Denki operates several stores in Akihabara. Ishimaru Denki Main
Store Akihabara focuses on computers and mobile phones.

If you can't find it "somewhere" in Akihabara, it probably ain't from Japan!

bill

Re: dumb cell phone question

<http://www.gojapango.com/tokyo/tokyo.php?poi_id15%45
Well, since they don't seem to sell online, I'll need to shop in
person.  A round trip non-stop flight from SFO to Tokyo is about
$2,000.  I'll have to think about that.

Re: dumb cell phone question
On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 11:20:15 -0800, the renowned Jeff Liebermann

More like $1,200, though on United (UA837/UA876) rather than a nicer
Asian carrier with newer planes.

On the plus side, it takes you into the old airport at Haneda rather
than Narita so you can be in Akihabara in no time (maybe 25 minutes),
and have time to go shopping at Toku Hands and have a coffee in
Shinjuku or Ropponji before heading back.

--sp

*http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/foreign.html

"It is said that health can spend time when we wear red underwear in
Year of the Monkey."

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany