OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I think it's thermal. There's a wire poked into the flame that gets red hot. If it's not the sensor, I can't imagine what it is.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

sk

re

t,

ou could

's

Damn! I was going to tell you to clean the oven!

Reply to
Graham Cooper

one that I miss is telnet.exe

I don't actually use windows but am called upon to debug problems with it on occasion, and telnet was a great way to check id a SMTP or HTTP server was accessable and functional before diving into the innards of application configuration options.

hyperterminal was useful for debugging problem with serial port hardware.

neither of these programs was ideal, but they were good enough.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It's there under XP, dunno on later versions of Windows though - I don't use them ;-)

Reply to
Clocky

use

Hyperterm isn't in W7. You have to install it yourself, and to do that you need to copy the files out of a computer running XP and paste them into W7. That makes W7 much less useful in my line of business so XP will live to see another day and another few years.

Reply to
Brad

That reminds me, you can stick your holier-than-thou attitude where the sun doesn't shine. I will make the call as to the appropriate balance between nutrition, cost, time and convenience, in any particular instance. No one else is in a position to make that judgement for me.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**As you see fit.

Wrong side of the bed today?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Perhaps. And

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**Urk. Insurance knocked you back?

Bugger. Sorry to hear that.

It's why I drive a vehicle that is not worth insuring. And I try not to run into anything. Driving a nice car has lost all it's appeal nowadays. One of my mates rolled up the other day in an old (slightly beat-up) Falcon. I asked: "Slumming it today, Bruce (knowing that Bruce owns a very nice, current model E-Class Benz)?"

Bruce replied: "Nope, just off to Miranda Fair. I would never take the Merc there."

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

No - I was just reacting to

The details are not that clear, in that on the one hand it appears that the insurer has written the car off, but on the other hand, the owner is still in possession.

That aside, if an insurer decides your vehicle is write-off, but you want to keep it on the road, you have to apply to the RTA for a repair authorisation. But to get one you have to fit into one of the catergories in the regulation. They amount to some legislator's view of why a person might reasonably want to repair a vehicle deemed by an insurer to be a write-off. That is, the legislator is substituting their own view about the course the owner should take for the course that the owner wants to take, even though it's the owner's money.

That's why it reminded me.

It appears the situation above can also arise if someone runs into you, and their insurer decides that your car is a write-off.

Sylvia.

Followups to aus.cars

Reply to
Sylvia Else

BTW, I contacted the customer care centre for the brand (Westinghouse, which is a division of Electrolux, apparently). I asked them whether this was a known fault.

In reply they said "We are sorry to learn of the trouble you are experiencing with your oven. As we are not technically trained we are unable to advise why this fault is occurring. We can only suggest that a technician inspects the unit."

They then outlined their technician fees, $95 call out, including 15 minutes of service time, and then $140 an hour in 15 minute increments. Oh, plus parts, of course.

Gee, that's really supporting your product. Thanks for nothing.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

of service time, and then $140 an hour in

At that price, they should provide parts for free. :-)

Cheers Don...

==============================

-- Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:

Dontronics Site Map:
E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Reply to
Don McKenzie

It's a bad move to defend Microsoft under any circumstances, even on the rare occasions it is justified. Having done so will hang over your head for the rest of your life. It's one of those things you can never live down.

Reply to
DavidW

I hate McCain. Birds Eye will win.

Reply to
DavidW

Telnet still exists in Windows, I have it on my Windows 7 64-bit machine.

Hyperterminal was garbage that was skewed towards dial-up services (e.g you had to create a connection to access the serial terminal).

Most people realise this and use real serial terminal software that is free too, such as:

Tera Term Pro PuTTY (highly recommended)

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

I used to think that when I tried to use Vista, but Windows 7 is actually superior to XP in most ways. Especially for the average home user that doesn't know much about how their operating system works.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

I would say that Most people Don't use those others, when the Maintenance Manual calls up Hyperterminal and gives the correct settings, most people don't bugger around wasting time with other software that may create more problems than they solve.

Reply to
Brad

The same goes for instantaneous gas heaters - good thing the pilot light has gone but one would think there would be a backup rechargeable battery to ignite the gas in case of a blackout. Pretty simple technology really. I modified our power supply that supplies the "wick" to the bloody thing with a UPS in line.

Reply to
Netmask

I meant people that are experienced at regularly using SSH/Telnet/Serial terminals. Obviously if you have no clue you will use whatever you're step-by-step instructions tell you too. I used to use Hyperterminal too, until I got a clue.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca