Thermostat question

I have a Black and Decker toaster oven. When using it as a toaster it seems that "popup" is controlled by a small circuit board which is controlled by a pot on the front panel. The board activates a solenoid which "pops" or shuts off the toaster. In oven mode there there is a mechanical bi metalic thermostat mounted on an L bracket that has a control shaft which also comes through the front panel. This device is not in contact with the oven cavity so the current flowing through it heats the bi metal and thus control the duty cycle of the thing. This and its setting ultimately governs the oven temperature. The thermostat contacts are badly burned. I tried burnishing them but only succeeded in widening the gap. Now I have to press on the contacts to complete the circuit and even if I can remove the stop and reset the shaft screw the unit is still burned and I imagine the calibration will be off anyway. I would really just like to replace the damn thing but naturally B&D doesen't offer that part for replacement. Sure, buy a new oven.... Hypothetically speaking, if I were to obtain a similar thermostat, similarly mounted, in a similar oven, that draws the same amount of current as mine, would it function as the original did? I realize that there are those among us who may think this question silly and berate me for even asking it. After all, toaster ovens are not very expensive and so why bother? But I've been a service technician for over 45 years and semi retired now and it just goes agasinst the grain to just throw something away when it seems like it should be fixed. Any opinions are appreciated. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

This is a Toastmaster but it's probably similar:

I do not think it's the current flowing through the thermostat, but its proxiimty to the oven itself by being screwed to the oven wall that determines the duty cycle.

Can't you bend the contacts to make up for the additonal gap? I've had to do that periodically not because of burned contacts, but because it tends to want to stay on in the Off position of the temperature control.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

.

ml

is

n the

I've tried to do that Sam but they really are so badly charred that I don't think its possible. The thing about your theory though is that the contacts themselves glow red as soon as contact is made. and then of course the bimetal reacts. It seems like the proximity of the thing to the outside oven wall would take a long time to heat the bi metal, but maybe thats the idea. I don't know. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002