Dick Smith Kits

Kits and books have long been the lowest selling product categories (less than discrete components and way below plugs/sockets/wire) and though there will be variations, I doubt they'd be major selling items in any DSE store.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Taking DJ's lead, I checked up on a kit I had been thinking about for a while. All stock here in WestOz was a zillion miles away, so I rang the nearest store and asked if they could rope one in for me. Happily arranged that. I then asked if this was a sign that DSE were getting out of kits. No way, he said, just some shinybum over east decided to "rationalise" their range, and to have kits only carried at certain stores in future as well. He said his store sells a veritable shiteload and was earmarked as a "will carry kits" store. Still wondering if that was the real story or just the H/O s**te that he was fed.

Reply to
budgie

With some junk box and a faulty multimeter for a case I built this total cost $1.00

atec77

Yeap, the one good thing about Woolies is they don't believe in retrenchments apparently. I found that out when they closed the Victorian Service Centre down and landed a job in one of the stores.

Bet the WA Service Centre guys are happy about that too, seeing as they closed it down back in Sept 06.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

I agree with Peter. Even when DSE had a large range of kits and books you could see the slow decline in sales of those lines. Coincidently it also marked a decline in sales of the Yeasu and other ham related lines.

As much as I hate to admit it, those roles are far better filled by small niche market players like Jaycar and Altronics.

Interesting side note, the number of complaints I hear about one particular Jaycar store here in Vic are increadible. The feedback is they are extreemly unhelpful and often out of stock and very uninterested in providing customer service. This has been happening for at least the last six months but seems to have worsened in the last two.

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

"Absurdly incorrect" ??? Yes it's not recent, that's true, otherwise perfectly correct from the perspective of anyone actually interested in electronics!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Why would anyone care about the demise of DSE as a hobby electronics outlet? Jaycar & Altronics (+others) have been happily filling (and improving on) that niche for the last 20 years. The only benefit of DSE was that they have more outlets.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

If you were interested in a kit, then i'd suggest buying it sooner rather than later and risk not being able to get it at all.......

As for components, well, they are safe for the time being. Might even be some new parts soon :)

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

That Altronics one is only 64 way (rows A&C only).

If it is indeed the DIN 41612 Eurocard connector you're looking for, in wirewrap, try RS Electronics or Farnell. Do a search in...

and

They are always good for that hard-to-find component - but you'll pay top price for it. It'll be top quality too...

Cheers,

Peter S.

Alan Rutlidge wrote:

Reply to