Toshiba's Super Charge Li-ion batteries

Toshiba's Super Charge Li-ion batteries available in March 2008

10 year life 5 minutes charge 5000 charge discharge cycles Capacity 90% after 300 cycles.

The key feature of the Li-ion secondary battery is that lithium titanate (Li4Ti5O12) is used as a negative-electrode material with electrolyte with a high flash point and a separator with a high heat resistance. Because of this feature, a thermal runaway is less likely to occur in case of an internal short-circuit, so the risks of burst and combustion are reduced, Toshiba said.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:32:42 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Oops, should be 3000 cycles of course.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

But Energy denistiy for WH/volume and WH/weight seems at about 50% of LiIon, or did I get something wrong ? So it will definitely not be the replacement for every LiIon application. But it will have new application opportunities with the long life, safety and extremely quick charge/discharge capability.

Reply to
filter001

On a sunny day (Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:18:14 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@desinformation.de wrote in :

Charging 4.2 Ah in 5 minutes will need (60 / 5) * 4.2 = 50.4 A. If these things will be widely used, then there will be a need for a large number of high current chargers.

50.4 A @ 2.4 V = 121 W, Even 80% efficiency makes 151 W. About that order of magnitude power consumption, or more, for the chargers. And of course it will have to be very small :-) Design challenge.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeah, but it's pretty much a solved problem -- laptop power supplies for some

17" machines are already 120W (output) and are reasonably efficient, small, and fanless.
Reply to
Joel Koltner

IIRC.. most lead-acid car batteries have a 5 year warranty. In my experience, I've had car batteries dying not far from 5 years.

I'm wondering if Li-ion batteries could replace/exceed LA car batteries?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

In Arizona lead acid batteries die about every 18 months, no matter whether it's a so-called 60-month battery or not.

...Jim Thompson

Only 18 months! There must be dead batteries everywhere in Arizona. :P

Which reminds of the time I was moving one summer and left a dead car battery under a bush in my neighbors back yard. :P

He probably only discovered it in fall when the leaves dropped... :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yep. It's heat that does in batteries. It's just that a perfectly healthy battery isn't normally needed when it's warm. People then think it's the cold that kills 'em. My batteries tended to last 7-8 years, despite the well below 0F VT winters. Longer battery life wasn't enough to make up for the wall-to-wall leftist weenies though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

On a sunny day (Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:08:54 -0800) it happened D from BC wrote in :

Been thinking the same thing, and 5 minute charge time is acceptable at a fuel station :-) But with a 5 minute charge time many kW electricity is needed, a new grid if all cars were to use this.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

station :-)

...and that grid will be powered from a coal-fires furnace; the exhaust will have far more radioactives than a nuclear reactor generator.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:27:30 -0800) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Yes, but if the laptop runs 2 hours, and say consumes 60W, then to charge it in 5 minutes you need 24 x 60 = 1440 W, after efficiency maybe 2kW. Just enough for the home fuse. Or do I make a mistake here?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, my mistake, I skimmed over your message and didn't catch that you were referring to reasonably fast charger... which certainly would be a much bigger challenge!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

fuel station :-)

text -

it is interesting to think about the POWER flow in a typical gas station hose when you fill your car...it is like MEGAWatts!!

Mark

Reply to
Mark