Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

My phone, a Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505), displays a black screen showing the
date and time and the number of missed calls and messages in white at
the top. Nothing I do will let me get out of this screen unless I
receive a call in which case I can answer it but not do anything else.
I first tried a reset by removing the battery and when that failed I
did a factory reset. I know the reset worked because the missed calls
and message count vanished.

The phone is under guarantee and I have returned it for repair at my
provider (Telstra) twice. Each time they say the "Handset passed full
script test and has been reflashed to the current software version".
On the first occasion it lasted a couple of days before the fault
recurred. Today it recurred in a couple of hours.

I can't see how the fault could be related to software I have
installed because a factory reset would remove it. I can't imagine
what hardware fault might cause the problem. I desperately need a
theory, any theory, because otherwise I will spend the rest of my life
in a Telstra shop.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

That sounds like 'Ultra power saving mode'.  Try
Settings -> Power saving -> Ultra power saving mode = off

Theo

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

And how should poor Gordon even get to "Settings" if "nothing ... will let
me get out of" that "black screen showing the date and time ..."?

I'd think Telstra (or Samsung) need to take ownership of the problem, and
exchange Gordon's handset for a known good one. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

He does that when he gets it back from the
store before he enters any of his details.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Eventually they did do that. It seems that Telstra policy is to not
bother diagnosing the problem so they made two attempts to fix it by
reflashing the OS. The policy is also is to give up on the third try
and replace the phone. They didn't have a replacement so, after over 5
weeks and a dozen trips to the Telstra Shop, they replaced the S4 with
an S5.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Seems it took a while, but all's well that ends well, eh? Cheers, -- tlvp

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Thanks but I can't! There is nothing I can do that will allow me to
access the phone including a factory reset. Surely the phone would not
reboot after a factory reset in "Ultra power saving mode".

You may have provided a theory though. Is "ultra power saving mode" a
hardware function? Is it possible that a pin on an IC or a bit in the
processor is permanently set to "ultra power saving mode"?

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

You do that just after the Telstra Shop has given you back the phone,
claiming that there is nothing wrong with it, before it goes into that
useless mode again.

No.

Is it possible that a pin on an IC or a bit in the

No, if it was, it would be in that state when they hand you
back the phone in the Telstra Shop and they would be able
to see that the phone is unusable.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

I'll check after Telstra's next attempt which they said will be a
replacement phone.

How do you think it got into "Ultra power saving mode"?

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Because it has a hardware fault. It could be anything really.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

If it does that without you loading any apps on the phone
after a factory reset by the Telstra Shop it has to be a fault.

If it only happens after you have loaded the apps you
want on it, it could be one of the apps that is doing that.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Correct..

There clearly is one tho.

It's a hardware fault and that isn't a theory, it's a fact.

You shouldn't have to return it to the store very
often before they realise that there is a problem.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 01:48:13 +1100, "Bob Milutinovic"

Are you sure that's always the case?

When I did a factory reset on my Galaxy S3 I had to go into Google
Play and manually request each individual app to be downloaded again
to the phone. I wish the process had been as you described because
that would have made restoring the phone a lot easier.

Is there a setting somewhere that affects this behaviour after a
reset?

Chris

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Every 'phone I've simply reset has gone through this routine - but when I've
replaced firmware, most of the time I've had to go in and manually
re-download as you've said.

From what I can gather, Google notes the 'phone's ID (manufacturer and
model), operating system version, carrier and Google account details - if
even one doesn't match, it doesn't bother downloading the apps.

One thing that's never guaranteed is stored WiFi credentials - they may or
may not be downloaded, and if not, you'll never gain access to them again.

As far as I can remember, there's a simple tickbox around the time it asks
you for your Google account details when powering up after a factory reset.
There should be two tickboxes, one asking if you want to keep this 'phone
backed up, and the other asking if you want to restore data to it.

I have to admit, of the Samsungs I've used, I've immediately flashed custom
ROMs onto - I can't stand Samsung's ultra-kludgy (in an attempt to make
their 'phones as stupid as iPhones?) "TouchWiz" overlay. It may be that
they've managed to screw the data restoration procedure up in the process?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

AFAIK the restoration of your apps was only introduced in Kitkat. Or
maybe it was Jellybean.

In my experience it works (as well as it ever does) on Samsung phones.
Last time I used it it restored an app I hadn't had installed for over a
year and failed to restore several I was using right up until my phone
went for repair.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?
I also have an S4 and had this problem. It turned out to be the wallet
case I had the phone in.

It took me a while to work out what was happening, but if I opened the
front of the wallet and folded it right around so that it was behind the
back of the phone I would get the same screen as you are describing. I
found there was a small magnet in the front cover of the case, when it
was put against the phone the screen, or back cover, it would go into
the mode you are seeing. I assume this is a feature of the phone for
when it is used in the type of case that has a clear window over the top
third of the screen, and then when you open the case the normal screen
should re-appear. .

If you put any magnet near the screen it will go into this mode. If you
have your phone in a case it would be worth trying the phone out of the
case and seeing if that helps, if it still happens then maybe the
magnetic sensor is faulty.

Cheers,

Guy Warren

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

Now this makes sense! However as the OP was cross-posted from one of two
other groups he may not have seen it.

That'll teach him. (But probably not...)
--
Shaun.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

You are right and I have not been taught. What lesson should I have
learned? I did respond to the post by saying that my phone does not
have a case and has not been near a magnet.

My news client deals with cross posted messages by showing it to me in
only one of the news groups that I subscribe to. Doesn't yours? Of
course it retains the list of news groups it is posted to so that a
response from me appears in any of the groups that received the post.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

I've got news for you. Your post replying to the one I replied to didn't
show up in aus.electronics.
--
Shaun.

Re: Any ideas to diagnose my mobile phone?

I still don't understand. The groups have been edited so this _only_
shows up in aus.electronics. Somebody has removed aus.comms and
comp.mobile.android.

What is your objection to cross posting?

Site Timeline