Mobile Phone alarm

Hi, heres my situation, im going to be having my work van kept outside my house soon, but its full of expensive tools etc. I am looking into the idea of making a mobile phone alarm. so that when a door is opened it triggers the phone to dial a preset number and alert me. the phone will be a nokia 3310. i was planning to connect wiring to the circuit board under the buttons. the way i have been planning it would work is: a remote operated alarm unit to control the on/off. not sure what output it has yet though. the way the phone works it will need to have one button pressed for .5 second ( the cancel button) to clear the screen. then a 1 second pause and another button, ( the hot key) pressed and held for 3 seconds. relays should be fine to close the circuits on the buttons i think. i just need to get my head around the timing side of it. the circuit could also repeat every 30 seconds or so to make sure the message is recieved. any help would be much appreciated thanks

also i am sorry, but i posted this in basic electrics section by mistake, but i cant remove it, sorry, ive only just joined.

Reply to
JDayUK

Much easier to manually type in the message, then click through the menus up to the last "send" point. Then one prod on the button from some suitable actuator will send the message. No need to delve into the phone at all.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

You could control the 'phone with a PIC microcontroller via an RS232 connection to send an SMS text message

e.g.

Andrew Holme

Phones mostly seem to have a timeout in the SMS entry screens, though.

Reply to
larwe

If You like to connect to a keyboard, I think a matrix-scan type, You can use two analog-muxes eg CD4051 8:1 mux that can "cross" an 8*8 matrix giving them the row and column address of key You want "press"..

bye delo

"JDayUK" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
delo

A program called gnokii (gpl/bsd?) will allow you to control the nokia 3310 with four wires. You could sacrifice some older 3210 and solder directly on the pcb to a max232? and then add some mobile phone charger. Because startup time might be considerable. Maybe you can use sms - acknowledge feature? to decide when a successful alert has been sent.

pbdelete

Random thought. Other mobile, "voice dial" set to the sound of the alarm.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well I think he only wants his phone to ring in case of trouble. If he can dedicate a phone to this he may not need to activate cancel.

If he's using a serial connection, I'd go for a Siemens phone. At least the 35 series (obsolete bulk market phone as is the 3310) use a 3.3 V CMOS level serial interface. A MAX232 is enough to talk AT commands to it, make it dial, send data or SMS messages. No funny software needed.

If one is handy with PICs this must be a no-brainer.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Thanks for all your replies. i was thinking of a fairly basic circuit originally, just a basic timer to press buttons in order. At the moment the phone needs to have cancel pressed first, as it is just a standard mobile, and incomming sms and phone calls may happen. when there is a missed call for example the hot key wont work until screen is clear and also the first button press doesnt do anything apart from illuminate the backlight, unless of course it is the cancel button, if you follow me.

Also i have no experiance with PICs. I understand what they do but i dont know how to program them and i dont have the facilities to do it.

thanks again. any further help would be great!

Reply to
JDayUK

What about a remote door bell. I bought one recently equiv. to US$10.00 and has 100 metre range - true, I tested it. Battery operated to boot - both ends. Unless your front yard is bigger than that you may be in trouble - but then again if it was bigger than that you wouldn't be working.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

PS. Doors aren't the only point of entry on workvans. The rubber surrounding the window can be removed allowing the glass to just pop out - it happened to me once - have a look, there is a joint in the rubber. Thieves then reach in and grab what they can and run off. A loud alarm at that point is the better.

And keep any expensive equipment out of site by layering the storage areas.

Just some friendly advice.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks again for the replies. I had thought of the wireless doorbell option, then i realised that if i could get it to ring my phone it would be perfect, could even be set to ring home phone aswel. as for the security, its a transit with no rear windows and a bulkhead. so i figured that someone would either try to drive it away then empty it, or open it up there and then and unload it, there is going to be approx £2-4K of tools in the back so if someone realises that i will need all the security i can get. It already has a tracker fitted, but by the time its located it will more than likely be empty. as this has happened a couple of times to others. i have seen on the net, a SMS controller. basically a mobile is connected by serial port to circuit and anything can be controlled by TXT/SMS and it sends information/alerts/feedback to users phone. The downside is that its SMS only, and having experienced delays of up to

2-3 days to recieve a txt when ideally it needs to be 2-3 seconds.

i have some very basic ideas for a circuit using a few 555s and 4017. to set up a sequence like Cancel pressed 0.5s, pause 2s, number pressed 3s, pause (to allow to dial and connect) 30s. and the repeat.

so would this work? a 555 in astable with delay of 3seconds, connected to a 4017, with first 2 outputs connected to 555s in monostable one with output of 0.5s and one with 3seconds. connected to relays to close the circuits on buttons. would the output from 4017 drive the

555 directly? what sort of changes are needed?
Reply to
JDayUK

And decent anti theft devices? A wheelclamp may attract attention but could work. So could taking parts from under the hood.

A phone like the Siemens C/M/S35 had a built-in modem and will set up a call for you if you send it ATDT01234567 through its serial port (which is 3.3 v 'ttl' level). You can get one for a few quid. It will also send an SMS through that port.

This would work as well. Also possible: make an oscillator, followed by the 4017. Use the outputs of the 4017 to adjust the oscillator frequency, so some outputs are fast and others are slow.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak