2.0/2.1 AV receiver with HDMI inputs and remote?

Just did a quick search for such a beast and basically came up with nothing. I'm looking to 'upgrade' my aging 5.1 AV receiver, mainly for the HDMI inputs. I know I could buy an add-on HDMI switch but I want to declutter and simplify things... and have no wish for yet another remote on the table.

I've been completely over surround sound for years now and am quite happy with stereo, hence I was hoping to find a 2.0 receiver with plenty of HDMI inputs, remote control and 'reasonable' audio quality.

Anyone know of any suitable candidates available on Oz? Thanks.

Jeßus

You may find that dialogue becomes more difficult to hear without the centre channel. Try your existing receiver in stereo with and without the centre channel and see if you lose definition of the dialogue.

Reply to
swanny

Hi swanny, I should have mentioned that I have my existing receiver in stereo mode with just the front L & R speakers connected. Most of the stuff I watch is through a HTPC, with occasional use of the DVD player. I haven't noticed any dialogue problems after a couple of years, so no dramas there.

Jeßus

Exactly, most 5.1 recievers have a stereo mode, and IF you could find a stereo only model I will bet it is NO cheaper than a similar quality 5.1 which you simply switch to stereo and connect two speakers. There is such a thing as economy of scale, and no demand for HT stereo recievers. Frankly I do prefer 3 channel mode for movies though, with a centre speaker, never bothered with rears.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

I suspected that would be the case Trevor, but thought there just might be one or two exceptions out there. I guess not! Just seems a waste to have all those extra channels lying idle, potentially using more power than necessary as well.

Jeßus

Fear not, the idle current for the other channels is minimal compared to the rest of the power consumed in either a 2 channel or 5 channel reciever. (since NO 5.1 HT reciever is fully class A as far as I'm aware) And you just may decide to use the extra channels one day.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor