Sony STR-DA555ES surround receiver need remote

I had this receiver given to me without the remote. I just got it working and I've learned that the remote that goes with this unit is a special two way unit with an LCD window. It is also quite expensive and apparently a real POS. The model number of the remote is RM-TP502. I think that you need the LCD screen for surround setup and things like loudness and bass boost. Is there another way to do these things or do I absolutely need this particular remote? Someone has used ones on Ebay for 56.00. The receiver is 13 years old. That seems pretty expensive for an obsolete remote. If I have to have this remote does anyone know where I might be able to find one more reasonably priced or could I get away with a substitute that will allow me to access all the functions? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

I have this situation with a video projector , no R/C , no full function replacement one available. There is a backstop of using RS232 linkup, the hex codes are in the manual. Perhaps a control pad for something else will do rather than a complete pc , just needs hex for numbers 0 to 1 and letter r

I will explore the few front panel control buttons + control lines with a diode to see if its possible to construct a more complete control matrix . Probably will come up with error codes. Any URL for ideas of getting around this perenial problem?

Reply to
N_Cook