HOW2 <install> VIA eth to PC-on-line?

Since Debian has automated to the extent that the current archive's URL is hidden, [!You don't need to know!] it's become painfull to install extra packages, without the assumed rPi on-line capability.

My on-lineable PC [I prefer Slackware] has got the same female-connector type as the rPi - which I'm told is etho.

How do I 'network' from the rPi keyboard to the rPi package archive URL via the PC's modem? Is the cable to be bought, to be null-modem like?

Reply to
Unknown

Impossible to say without knowing exactly how your PC is connected to the internet:

- by cable or phone line

- how the router connects to your PC (via serial port, USB or ethernet)

- are there any unused ethernet ports on the modem? the PC?

- are you using an ethernet switch between the router and PC?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Use apt-zip if you want to do sneakernet installs.

At minimum you need a crossover cat-5 patch cable (these are usually purple) or you can instead use a network switch and two ordianry cat-5 patch cables

Then you need to setup the the slackware machine to act as a router and possibly as a dhcp server too (unless you wsnt to do manual configuration of both newtowk interfaces.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Just a straight patch cable will be sufficient. The Pi (like most network equipment these days) is auto-sensing.

Reply to
Dom

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I believe MDI/MDX became a standard feature just over a decade back with the introduction of Fast Ethernet (aka 100Mbps). You can use either cable type (straight or cross over with Fast Ethernet but I think Gbit ethernet precludes the use of crossover cables on account it requires all four pairs to achieve Gbit speed.

I might be wrong but I remember being caught out by this 'gotcha' a few years back when I couldn't get the link to run at Gbit speed with a crossover patch cable until I replaced it with a straight cable - it was an existing cable on a Fast Ethernet link which had worked just fine until I replaced the switch to upgrade to Gbit working so it might simply have been a substandard cable.

--
Regards, J B Good
Reply to

Assuming your PC is connected to the Internet via e.g. a 3G dongle or USB ADSL modem, you just need to bridge eth0 with that network interface. Connection to the RPi is with a standard Cat5E patch lead. These cost from about £1.50 delivered on eBay if you don't have any lying around.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well I don't what "neakernet install" is, but `which apt-zip` is 'empty'.

No, no no! I don't want to open-a-can-o-worms re. 'routing'. Don't you people know what minimalist means? The replies above already point to disagreement/confusion. === BTW how do the voltage outputs of a standard PC-par-port match the rPi's GPIO? 'plip' is a mature standard AFAIK. It seems a realistic way to transfer 4-bits at-a-time.

== TIA.

Reply to
Unknown
[Snip]

Yes, we all do. Where did you ask for a minimalist solution?

Perhaps if you had answered Martin Gregorie's questions () the confusion would have been less. People are basing suggestions on guesswork because they have no choice.

Based on the assumption your 'modem' is an internal card, or attached via serial or by USB, use any CAT5 cable to attach your Pi to the PC, turn your PC into a network bridge, and say 'thanks'.

[snip]
--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg

a: JFGI b: install it.

there's another solution if you have an external modem, just connet it to the raspberry pi when you want to use the internet from it,

Well, What is it that you want to minimise?

outlay ? mass of new hardware required ? cost of new hardware required ? time taken to set it up? keystrokes? inconvenience? power consumption?

Not compatible, my pc puts a fairly strong +5V for logic high. this is a "netmos 9865" based 2S1P card

mature, and then some, but you still need to setup all that routing stuff you rejected above.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

This poster never answers questions, or indeed does anything other than complain and insult people. Look up his history elsewhere.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

Thanks for the tip.

Has to be said: his choice of name and empty question made me think he was a newbie. Or a fool. But no: simply a troll.

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg
* Share in cheaper ethical telecoms: http://tjrh.eu/phone
* Have a genuine & spam-proof address for Usenet http://www.invalid.org.uk/
Reply to
Tim Hill

Currently internet is from a 3G dongle. Does it make a difference, to the rPi how the PC gets the data, or to the PC how the dongle communicates, other than time/speed?

Principles are more valued than labels [Cat5E]. I'm going to assume that the null-modem/bus-contention idea is not applicable. So I'll borrow/steal a cable from someone's PC-to-the-wall, and hope that the rPi won't blow-up.

BTW this is an international forum, so readers from inland Scotland won't be helped by S.Californians advising to "just go down to the beach" == PS. I've just returned the borrowed cable from PC to wall-channel; which is [almost obviously] not 'null-modem-configured'. `apropos ethernet` lead to `man ifplugd`. And `ls -tl /dev/* | head` showed that the PC had created a file for the newly plugged device.

After going on-line with the PC: dongle: rPi -> apt-get install eject == indicated

Reply to
Unknown

== OK,this follows from my previous post. I wonder if/how it upsets the 'threading':- so `apt-get install` exposes the URL where it hopefully fetches the packages. But: curl -O

eject_2.1. curl -O
armhf/2.1. ==

404 Not Found The requested URL /raspbian/pool/main/e/eject/eject_2.1.5+deb1+cvs20081104-11_armhf.deb was not found on this server. Server at mirrordirector.raspbian.org Port 80 ... /raspbian/wheezy/main/eject/armhf/2.1.5+deb1+cvs20081104-11 was not found on this server. IMO auntie Dheborah is trying to be too smart-arse, by aiming for impressive automagic. A better approach is used by slackware, where the user is able to make intelligent adjustments, based on the inevitably changing environment, instead suffering Soviet-like control.

I went through this same crap, with 'installing' the G3-dongle. I.e. instead of revealing that the essential sequence is:

  1. PC must detect dongle-plugged = lsusb
  2. dongle must be switched from a CDROM to a modem = eject..or other
3....etc.; all the docos are as if adressed to a computer. BLINDLY: Do A, Do B..Do n.
Reply to
Unknown