what is this high voltage display device called?

What I'm thinking of is not a plasma globe, although, like the globe, it
too is intended primary for display.  If I were to describe it, I
remember it being made out of glass, maybe 1-2 feet in diameter, and
nearly flat in thickness.  Electric discharges from the center to the
edge of the glass and looked a lot like lightning.  I remember these
devices being used in Star Trek The Next Generation used behind the
heads of Borg drones.  They used to be in Spencers too available for
purchase.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

the

se

or

Here's an image:

https://i.imgur.com/72YjfM9.jpg

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

the

se

or

Ok, I found it.  Luminglas or plasma plate or plasma disk.  Wow, they
are really costly now.  The ones in Spencer's 20 years ago were around
$40 for 15 inch size... now it looks like at least 3 times that!

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

Inflation innit. A price tripling over 20 years doesn't seem that
unlikely.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

Much too high. In the UK, inflation from 1999 to 2019 accounted for a
price rise of about 72%.
<https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/1999?amount=1
You have to go back to 1985 for inflation to triple the value in 2019.

--

Jeff

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

 Wow, they

around

Looks like I should have bought one at the time.  There's now way I'll
shell out 4x for it now.  Oh well.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?
Part of that price is the size. If you must have a 15" disk, it's going to
cost you. 6" are about $25 to $30.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

An ordinary clear-glass incendescent bulb makes some nice sparks
inside if you apply HF-HV to one side of the filament.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

If you're talking a "plasma globe", yes I have one of those.  It is
about 14" diameter and cost me $19 at Walmart about 15 years ago.
However, I see that even those in many cases appear to be somewhat
higher in price, but certainly not nearly as high as the luminglas!

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?
On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:41:49 -0500, Branden

No, I meant an ordinary light bulb.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

John means a lightbulb with a tungsten filament in it which burns very
brightly when a current is passed through it. You have to have attained
great age, like John and I, in order to remember such obsolete atrocities.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?
On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 20:17:16 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

But don't heat the filament, just apply a lot of high voltage, high
frequency stuff to it.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

Yes, Ive applied clear incandescents to a HV source too!  It can produce
a different display from an actual plasma globe depending on bulb vacuum
or type of gas used.  One has to be very careful of the 25 watt
incandescents though if applied to high voltage.  Some of those used to
produce x-rays because they were vacuumed but not backfilled!  I think
manufacturers have corrected this nowadays, but 20 years ago they were
not backfilled.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?
Like putting one in the microwave.
To protect the microwave, also put a glass of water inside.
The lamp does not need to be in working order.

Re: what is this high voltage display device called?

the

se

or

Just wanted to update that I now actually have thee of the Luminglas
displays!  Although eBay prices are out of this world, I found all of
these either on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and all for less than

$50 each.  A lot more reasonably priced!  I remember them charging
anywhere from $25-50 back in the late 90's early 00's when they were in
Spencer's and elsewhere.  If they are indeed collector items now, I may
have three chances in the future to sell if I ever grow tired of them.

Site Timeline