What voltage is this cap?

Axial electrolytic approx 0.5 inch (12 mm) diam, 1.0 inch (25 mm) length

Markings: HGC CP-C 2J104K 123

Google tells me it's a 0.1uF, but I can't find a reference for the "2J" voltage rating. And, any idea what the other markings are?

There are no manufacturer markings (logo, etc.), just plain gray shrink tubing with the above alphanumeric markings.

This is used in a single-phase 240VAC low current box fan speed controller (1 TRIAC is the main current controller).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
John English
Reply to

John E. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sf.sbcglobal.net:

That's a damn small capacitance for that size, though I agree with it, so it implies a high voltage to match what you say. I first thought of 123 as meaning 12,000 millivolts, after the convention of 104 for capacitance, but I never heard of anyone actually doing it this way, and it's definitely not

12V.

Is the writing clear? Any chance that 123 is actually something else?

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

It would have to withstand at least 240*1.41 =340V. I would suggest that it would be a minimum of 400V and possibly 500V.

--
Don Kelly dhky@shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer

.1 uf 1200 volt cap !

makes since to me.. most likely a snubber or bypass cap of some kind.

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

"John E."

** I bet it is NOT !!!

It has no polarity markings - right ?

Both ends look the same - right ?

Then it is an oil filled paper/film type.

" 2J104K " = 0.1uF, 10 % tolerance and probably the 200 volt DC rated.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In the UK where 240V is the norm, 400V would be the normal rating for a motor start/run cap

--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stuart

Take a look here:

it may help.

--
People. You can\'t live with \'em and it\'s illegal to hunt them...except in
Texas.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brian MW0GKX

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:51:01 +0000 (GMT), Stuart put finger to keyboard and composed:

0.1uF seems much too small for a motor start/run cap. In any case, don't these caps have an AC rating rather than a DC rating?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Looking at manufacturer sites, 2J is a common voltage marking for 630V.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

630VDC 0.1uF

1H = 50VDC

1J = 63VDC 2A =100VDC 2D = 200VDC 2E = 250VDC 2G = 400VDC 2J = 630VDC 3A = 1,000VDC 3B = 1250VDC 3C = 1600VDC 3D = 2,000VDC 3E = 2,500VDC

01 = 190VAC

02 = 250VAC 03 = 275VAC 04 = 300VAC 05 = 400VAC 06 = 440VAC 07 = 500VAC 08 = 600VAC
--
Peter Parry
Reply to

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:52:56 +0000, Peter Parry put finger to keyboard and composed:

2B = 125VDC 2C = 160VDC

2F = 315VDC

2H = 500VDC

The numbering doesn't always appear to be consistent:

2F = 315VDC 5B = 125VAC 5E = 250VAC

3F = 3KV DC 3G = 4KV DC 3H = 5KV DC 3I = 6KV DC

BTW, does anyone know what is meant by "POOT SIZE" and "POOT IEGTH". :-)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Poot length? Mine tend to be of the order of 400 milliseconds.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

(1

Sounds a lot more like a tubular polypropylene/film/wax or similar capacitor than an electrolytic. Some of the better quality units (safety ratings? Danger, Will Robinson, safety ratings! Especially in a snubber on the AC line!) are in metal cans.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

So, how does one decisively determine the type?

There are no markings whatsoever other than the ones described. The plastic insulation (shrink) covers all but the inner diameter of the ends. The leads are connected to the (aluminum) end caps which are identical.

--
John English
Reply to

HGC appears to be the manufacturer, but google turned up naught.

The aluminium end caps must be insulated from each other somewhere along the body of the capacitor.

How about posting a link to a photo of the capacitor?

Glenn.

Reply to
glenbadd

--
John English
Reply to

No polarity markings, so not a polarized electrolytic.

Doesn't make sense to have a 0.1uF 630V unpolarized electrolytic.

Given the application, it must be part of some snubber and safety- rated film caps would certainly be used in such a case. I don't often see them in cans anymore (in my head I associate film/wax capacitors in cans with the good old Sprague "Vitamin Q's"), but they do come in cans sometimes.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Can you be more specific as to the type? Maybe a reference to a Mouser or Digi-Key item?

Thanks,

--
John English
Reply to

EPCOS B32232 series is an example of a film cap in a metal axial can:

Digikey part number 495-3542-ND seems to match your component superficially at least.

You will find a lot of film caps with pulse handling capability specifically called out these days. Especially used in switching power supplies and electronic ballasts at line voltage.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Thanks so much for your assistance. Invaluable to one whose knowledge in this area is so... basic.

--
John English
Reply to