Re: Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

True. But in the Redneck states there is only limited moderation in its app lication.

At the same time, the amount of firepower in our little historically Jewish plurality quite liberal Philadelphia suburban neighborhood is not insignif icant. Those who are former or children of, or affected directly by Holocau st Victims tend to not want such things to repeat themselves. Brownshirts a nd their ilk would not do well around here.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Yes, but these do not cover the Wi-Fi frequencies.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Set up a wi-fi access point on one of the computers. This is generally just a software package that needs to be enabled. (depends on OS)

Then, using that A.P., see how far other computers can be and still work. Either your router is dying (possible) or there is an interference source. That could be ANYTHING! Could be a bad CFL lamp, an LED lamp, cell phone, computer, some piece of computer/camera/video/entertainment equipment, or even some home appliance. These Wi-Fi signals are intentionally VERY weak, so it doesn't take a whole lot to interfere with them.

The only way to find the interference is to turn everything off, one at a time, or maybe the two laptops talking to each other could help you locate it to a specific room. Of course, if it is from outside, then you may have a HECK of a time dealing with it.

I'm forced to use Wi-Fi when traveling, but use wired at home and work, because for the most part, it JUST WORKS. Also, some hotels have wired Ethernet ports available, and their Wi-Fi runs at 100KBits/second intermittently, but their Ethernet jacks run at full speed all day.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It's all relative. Microwave ovens can produce a thousand watts of RF inside the box. Wifi signals are usually in tens of milliwatts. A very effective shield can still leak enough to cause problems.

Reply to
Pat

Netstumbler 0.4.0 was last updated in 2004 and only runs on Win 2000 and XP. Perhaps something modern would be more useful:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Not clear from that sentence, but methinks you might have it backwards. My DSL never went "through" the filter. Filter prevents the phone stuff from degrading the DSL signal by isolating each phone device at RF frequencies required by DSL.

When you badmouth someone, you should be sure your advice is absolutely correct and stated clearly. Otherwise, you just look...

Reply to
mike

that shit is garbage. It is barely above the quality of Glidden and its kno ckoffs you find at the dollar store. You want real paint get Benjamin Moore . Even better is Pratt Lambert but they make mostly bridge paint and shit l ike that, they might not have your favorite color or texture.

Reply to
jurb6006

numbers?"

Actually I haqev gotten to the point of tolerating almost anything.

I forgot the make but it is a 4110n.

Reply to
jurb6006

Good. I'll ramp it up a notch. But later... I have a customers machine almost done and need to burglarize their office tonite to reinstall it. Driving you insane can wait.

Google search finds three different printers, an Adtran ISDN modem, a Cisco security appliance, and a bunch of other stuff that use that number. Could you be a little less [deleted expletive] vague?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You don't have to delete anything. But we got it all and were taught not to use certain words in school n shit. The adults also never talked down to us.

But now I see my mistake. It is not a 4110 it is a 4111n, and Pace is the make. Sorry, but sometimes I have trouble remembering my name.

This is the second one of these they sent us, the other one which was a different model always seemed to have good RF but it was losing the DSL carrier on the line.

Actually now I am trying to get a fax on the tomes of these outages. It almost seems like cellphone peak time but not quite.

Damifino.

Reply to
jurb6006

I missed the standard American education in applied profanity. So I found other ways to be insulting, denigrating, tactless, insulting, etc. It is quite possible to accomplish these things without reference to sex practices and body waste elimination practices. For example, if I were to indicate that you might be mistaken, I would merely suggest that your cranium is firmly embedded in your posterior rectal outflow orifice.

Customer comments at: are evenly divided between "it's great" and "it sucks". Most of the complaints seem to revolve around the wireless section. Hmmm...

I see a few of these in the area on AT&T DSL. I don't see much of a problem with them. I did have one with wireless disconnect problems, but that was solved by installing a 2nd wireless router, configured as an access point, to handle the wireless.

Ever consider using a seperate modem and wireless router? That's what I like, but customers consider the extra boxes and wires rather messy. For DSL, I use: For U-verse (IPDSL), I'm stuck with whatever AT&T offers. For routers, whatever I happen to like. This week it's Asus RT-AC66U. Better to switch (hardware) than to continue the battle with the

4111n.

Do you have U-Verse (IPDSL) service?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I find that invective is most fun when clean. However, with some individual s, even the most massive clue-sticks are wasted. One of my favorite applica ble expressions is one used by the "Car-Talk" guys - unencumbered by the th ought process. Which goes well over the head of most to whom it applies.

Or, "You do have a point. However, if you comb your hair just right, perhap s no one will notice." "So, a thought crossed your mind? Must have been a l ong and lonely journey."

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Nope, just simple DSL and a land line which doesn't even have long distance, we use cellphones for that.

Reply to
jurb6006

...like Phil Allison. >;-}

Reply to
Gunther Heiko Hagen

No. The line pair is connected straight through to the router (modem). A low-pass filter is used to present the voice frequencies to a POTS device and prevents it interfering with the DSL signal.

You need to take your own advice. I shan't wait for your apology.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick

Fine. Throw everything out and start over.

Buy a DSL modem (not router) that supports ADSL2+. I like Netgear DM111PSPv2: Make sure you get the PSPv2 mutation, not v1 or earlier models. Say goodbye to about $20 total.

Then go shopping for a wireless router that actually works. Lots to choose from. I suggest Asus RT-AC66U. You probably don't need 802.11ac support. However, there's a problem with the RT-N66U, which does everything except 802.11ac. It overheats. I got it to work by mounting it vertically (it comes with a plastic stand for vertical mounting) but would prefer to pay a few dollars more so I can mount is anywhere. Say goodbye to about $70.

If you're cheap and or like to complain some more, I've been using Linksys EA-2700 routers. They do everything right except that the wireless range is not so great. However, they're cheap: at about $20 total.

Be sure to upgrade the firmware to the latest in both boxes before complaining again on this newsgroup. The time you save will probably be mine. If you decide to go this route, I have some other suggestions and comments.

Please remember that RF is magic and that if you're not a magician, you don't stand a chance.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 20:06:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (blah-blah-blah)

I forgot one item. My guess(tm) is that you have microfilters scattered around the house to isolate the POTS audio from the DSL tones. That's fine if you use decent filters and have decent inside wiring, which are problematic. So, to avoid the problems caused by plugging the filters in backwards, ratty wiring, missing filters, and noise pickup for light dimmers, AM radio stations, and similar EMI, I suggest you get a whole house DSL filter. I like the Siecor style xDSL outdoor splitters: Install the box near the MPOE (minimum point of entry) to the POTS line. Run a dedicated pair or CAT5 from this DSL splitter to your DSL modem. Remove all your DSL microfilters. Live happily ever after.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I had a similar problem with a friend's house in Culver City, CA. You could listen to KHJ at one end of the house and KNX at the other end of the house. Proper wiring solved that.

Or if you have a relatively NOT ancient MPOE box, install one of these:

When I moved to Texas, I moved into a 75 year old house. The phone wiring was a mixture of "anything that pours" so to speak, and was a combination of star and daisy chain wiring.

I abandoned all of it and ran new Cat5e to a punch down block in a closet. When I switched from cable to AT&T U-Verse, I added the above mentioned MPOE filter.

I put the AT&T Modem in a central location so that the WiFi signal was good through the entire house.

I used my obsolete stash of Cat3 for the phone lines and Cat5e for the network lines.

I did the same thing with my shop down the street.

I have zero problems with either the phones or the network.

"Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid." Sgt. Stryker

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Yep, and if you'd said that to begin with...clear description...

Reply to
mike

How do you know your issue is the WiFi and not the DSL. If you connect a computer via Ethernet directly to the router, does it work?

I had many intermittent issues with DSL caused by many kinds of electrical interference between me and the central office. DSL used to go out in the evening when the streets lights all fired up.

makolber