120hz versus 240hz

I am considering the purchase of an LED television. However, before I do, I would like to know what the difference is between 120 & 240hz; other than the numbers. I've done some research, but there seems to be a wide array of conflicting opinions. I know that it has to do with refresh rate, jitter, and blur. So, if anyone has some straightforward input on the matter, I'm all (grateful) ears.

Thanks

Reply to
Chris

An alien with 240Hz eyes might appreciate[*] the higher frequency version, but unless you're such an alien living on Earth incognito, don't waste your money.

Sylvia.

[*] Ignoring the fact that colour displays are finely tuned to the way that human colour vision works, and an alien would likely wonder what we'd been smoking.
Reply to
Sylvia Else

First, the only televisions that use LEDs use OLEDs. There are none using conventional LEDs.

Second, there are no strict definitions of what these refresh rates mean. In some cases, the set generates an interpolated image at that rate, in others, a blank (black) raster is inserted. Some sets combine both.

I don't like this enhancement (which was one of the reasons I bought a plasma set). It has a nasty side-effect -- it makes motion pictures look like video. This might be fine for a TV show; it isn't when you're watching movies. Be sure that whatever set you purchase has some way of defeating it the enhancement.

You need to actually look at the sets you're considering with program material you're familiar with.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

This has nothing whatever to do with color rendition.

Who is Sylvia, anyway?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

none ??

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Nope. The only sets available use LCDs, plasma, and OLEDs.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwanker IDIOT " "Sylvia Else"

** And if you put the remark back into its context - what it IS relevant to becomes obvious.;

FUCKWIT !!

.. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think when they refer to LEDs, it is LEDs used for backlighting probably for an LCD.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

"William Sommerwanker IDIOT "

** Fraid " LED TVs " are on sale all over the world right now.

FUCKWIT !!

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Did I say it had? I was attaching a caveat to the word "appreciate".

Sylvia is Sylvia Else.

Sylvia (Else).

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Your Wiki reference says it all. These are NOT LED televisions, as we discussed on here a few weeks back, no matter what misleading crap the manufacturers use to try to convince dumb punters otherwise. These so-called LED TVs are conventional LCD sets, with all the drawbacks of that technology, but backlit with LEDs instead of CCFLs.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Seconded on all counts, and also the reason that I recently bought a plasma TV (Panasonic, 50" full HD panel, 400Hz). I have not seen a single thing about this TV that I don't like so far, unlike the LCD TVs that I have in the house, and the LCDs that cross my bench for repair, all of which suffer from motion artifacts, scaling artifacts, and motion blur ...

This plasma TV has produced absolutely stunning HD pictures from the Winter Olymics, with not the slightest sign of motion artifacts of any description, even on the fastest content like downhill skiing, and bobsleigh etc. In contrast, the same content that I have seen on LCDs, has been perfectly dreadful.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily"

** But they are called " LED TVs " by their makers and so are *KNOWN BY THAT NAME* to members of the public.

Fools like YOU and Sommerwanker would complain that a bottle of "Steak Sauce" contained no steak.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And, as we all know, Girl Scout Cookies are not made from Girl Scouts.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On 2/25/2010 5:55 PM Sylvia Else spake thus:

Since the subject's been broached, may I ask: are you a woman? I ask because, well, 99.9% of the other posters here aren't, and it's unusual to see a woman posting in such a newsgroup (actually pretty much on Usenet in general, a few newsgroups excepted).

None of my business, I know, but I'm curious.

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yes, I am.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Ah that explains why I cannot watch these things for more than a few minutes, I'm an alien. Would anyone know what the equivalent refresh rate is for good old CRT technology ? As far as fast movement across the image is concerned, motion jitter or judder or whatever the term is. What refresh rate would have to be there before I cannot tell the difference between that part of the technologies?

Reply to
N_Cook

And it's time something was done about that. The manufacturers are relentlessly plugging this as though it's some new and wonderful display technology, and it's not (although I have to say that the TV ad campaign that was running here seems to have stopped now). It is misleading nonsense, and although all civilised countries have laws against misleading advertising, for some reason, they seem to be letting this one go, presumably because like you, they don't have any understanding of what is actually *meant* by the term, rather than *implied* by it.

By the way the OP was talking, he doesn't understand either, and is in the process of *being* misled by it and, since he asked, it is up to those of us who *do* understand, to help him out with his question, and stop him potentially wasting his hard-earned on something that is not exactly what he thought it was.

Now if you have anything sensible and informative to say on the issue, go right ahead Philip. Otherwise, if it's just more of your normal anger and abuse that's festering ready for you to unleash, go have a beer or whatever instead, and chill ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Wonder what name they'll invent for proper LED TVs when they arrive?

And why aren't all LCD sets known by the name of the backlight?

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he's like this sober, imagine what he'd be like drunk...

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed*