0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........ - Page 2

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
says...

Are you saying that approximately zero is good enough?

Mike.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the third band is the
multiplier, and since the two first bands are zero, you can multiply
with anything you like. So, black, black, white would still be zero.

Now that I think about it, one ohm could also be black, brown, black.
--
RoRo

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
says...

Yes, see the point; I went off half-cock (approx) thinking the "any" was
tolerance. I suppose a minus power of ten multiplier would be good, too
(I forget the colours)...

Mike.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

And here it's Brown - Black - Gold.
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/1ohm-8ohm2-resistors.php

Seems like this is a common misconception....

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

I've never seen any with more than 1 black band round the middle.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com says...

I believe you are reading that chart wrong.

I have some resistors and checked them out.  One is a brown black gold
and is 1 ohm.  Another is brown black silver and is .1 ohms.  That is
measured with a Fluke 87 VOM.

I don't know for sure, but maybe the  resistors do not start off with a
black band.  Don't have any loose resistors to check, but many on
circuit boards are a solid color with a black band in the middle.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 16:02:12 -0500, Ralph Mowery

I bookmarked this site:
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/1ohm-8ohm2-resistors.php

Not only does it calculate the resistor color code, but it even shows a
picture. That's a site worth saving....

I never had any problem with the color codes in the old days, because I
dont recall ever running into any resistors less than 10 ohms on the old
tube gear. It's just these small value ones that are tricky.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com says...

For the standard resistors it was almost second nature for me to just
look at a resistor and call out the value.  There were only a few values
used most of the time, and then the last band for the multiplier.
Especially when most were the 10 % type.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

Yes, after a while, you aren't so much "decoding" but just recognize the
value connected to the coding.  Three red stripes?  Of course that's 2200.
I can't even tell you what 4.7K is, but I'd know one when I saw it.

SO much effort put into mnemonics to remember the color code and cardboard
decoder rings, when all you have to do is spend some time looking at
resistors, like when you are sorting them out.

   Michael

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
snipped-for-privacy@ncf.ca says...
cardboard

After I had spent a while scrabbling through my Dad's random collection
of resistors looking for an acceptable value, I got a strong urge to
pick out any one and re-paint the colours...

Mike.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 20:37:27 -0500, Ralph Mowery

It's been nearly 40 years since I did any serious work on electronics.
But I still remembered the color codes, many of the common resistor
sizes, common cap sizes, and the numbers on the most used tubes. I dont
think I ever used a resistor below 10 ohms, except the wirewound types,
such as the old huge 8 ohm WW ones that I used to use for speaker loads.
I think they were rated at 100 watts. I saved a lot of that stuff, but
much of it has vanished over the years.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

No, that is not correct. Notice that the fourth band says
"multiplier".

The chart shows four bands plus tolerance, which means three digits
plus a multiplier, plus tolerance.

You multiply the first three bands with the multiplier value. Since
the three first bands in your example are all zero, you must multiply
zero by one ohm, which is still zero.

An easy way to remember how the multiplier band works, is to think of
it as "number of zeroes".
--
RoRo

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
says...

While it does say multiplier, it is not the traditional 'multiply any
number by zero and you get zero.  It is more like the number of zeros to
put at the end.  That is why a red red black is 22 ohms and not zero
ohms.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

The multiplier is ten to the power of the colour. Any number to the
power of zero is one. Hence the result you cite.

Mike.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
Bien vu !!

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

"multiplier" is a bit misleading - specifically its the number of zeros that
follow the preceding group of numerical digits.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
They ca over pass a track without needing 2 vias.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........
snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com says...

Perhaps someone is sneaking "high temperature" (meaning ambient)
superconductors onto the market with no fanfare?

Mike.

Re: 0 (ZERO) Ohm Resistors (WTF)........

The really funny thing is you can buy them in 1% and 5% tolerance. I'm
betting that none of them are within tolerance though.

Site Timeline