inexpensive hardware platform for linux based firewall

If I want to build an equivalent of an inexpensive firewall like NETGEAR RP616 (40?), by using a linux-based firewall embedded software, which hardware platform can I use ? Soekris net4501 matches the requirements except one, the price a little bit to high (150 ?). WRAP is also relatively expensive. No idea of other cheaper hardware platform to run light linux distro ?

Is is possible to use a commercial product (NETGEAR, DLINK, LINKSYS, etc.) and replace its software by a linux-based custom software ???

Reply to
Philippe

Google for OpenWRT

regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Mües

Yes, I second that. Then look at

and check which WRT54 hardware versions support Linux.

By using this info and checking product serial numbers in the store, I found an older WRT54GS that is now happily running OpenWRT.

--rick

Reply to
Rick Low