GCC2.95 vs GCC3.3.2 compile for Linux Arm Kernel on MOT MX1 Dragonball

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Linux and I'm working with a Motorola MX1ADS board, it has an MC92328 Dragonball CPU (Arm920T core) and I'm trying to re-compile the kernel using GCC3.3.2. The board came with a GCC2.95 tool chain but does not have C++ support.

I got a copy of the complete GCC3.3.2 toolchain from the net. When I compiled the kernel with GCC3.3.2 there were some syntax issues that prevented successful compilation. I've fixed these, and have now been able to compile without error.

The resulting kernel runs, and many programs work fine. However Ethernet does not work correctly. I can ping the local host OK, but I can not go off board. I get a "network unreachable" error after a short timeout. ifconfig reports the hardware MAC address correctly, but the received data count is always 0 bytes. I can compile the same sources with GCC2.95 and it works fine.

The board uses a CS8900A chip from Crystal LAN with a custom driver written by Motorola.

If anyone has any pointers as to what the problem could be, or how I may go about debugging this problem, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you in advance.

Contact Info: Dan McCarroll email snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca Ph: 204 757 7102 Fax: 204 757 7119

Reply to
Dan Mccarroll