embedded motherboard boot from flash

Hi,

I am a newbie here. I am involved in a project of developing a POS system using embedded Linux.

Can someone recommend a PC compatible motherboard which is able to boot from compact flash? Or give me some pointers will be helpful as well.

Thanks a lot.

--
Equal bytes for women.
.... .- ---    -.-. .... . -.    .-.. . ---

Almost all PC motherboards can boot from Compact Flash Drives.

See

Tech Support for IDE-CF

Reply to
noreply

They claim to have IDE interface onboard. Does it boot with normal hard disk? Are they having non-standard IDE interface?

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF

It boots from an normal IDE Hard-Drive OK, i.e. I've booted from a Seagate ST32140A, but I can't get it to boot from Compact Flash.

The Compact Flash adaptor bears the label CFDISK.1C IDE/CompactFlash Adaptor. No Hot Swap, Copyright 2002 PC Engines. I have tried both Sandisk 16Mb and a Lexar 8Mb flash.

If the CF card is in the secondary IDE channel, then the boot just freezes after outputting some BIOS info - the COM port addresses etc.

If the CF card is on the primary IDE channel, then it gets further, but then says "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT" or "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT A SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." depending on which CF card is there.

I've not tried putting the adaptor card on another PC and attempting to boot that - maybe I should.

I'll try that now.

Tech Support for IDE-CF wrote:

Reply to
noreply

That doesn't work either. Maybe I have a faulty CF adaptor, but I can't see how.

I can Read/Write to the CF OK, and I can Fdisk it too. Maybe it's a BIOS problem.

Reply to
noreply

ST32140A, but

No Hot

8Mb flash.

Oh yes. We had a couple of them while developing our boards. We found it to be necessary to make some mods for certain CFs. We are more than happy to tell you what we did if you "contact us" from our web link.

Since this is dealing with a competitor's board, we don't want to disclose the changes in public. Thanks.

after

says "PRESS

depending

that - maybe

disk?

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF

I retract this statement. The PCM-4825 will in fact boot from Compact Flash. I had a small fault on my adaptor board. Two tracks were shorted by a salder bridge.

snipped-for-privacy@noreply.org wrote:

Reply to
noreply