Boot Block of NOR flash memories ??

the Top Boot is faster. The bits fall from higher.

just read the datasheets.

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to

HI, I have the following queries based on the Flash Memory,

000. What is the advantage of Top Boot Flash Memory and What is the advantage of Bottom Boot Flash memory ?

001. what are the other differences between these Boot Block based Flash memories and Normal Flash Memories ?

Satish

Reply to
satish.aradhya

This has a strong smell of a study assignment, but ...

001. Boot block is an erase block which is split into smaller pieces than an usual erase block on the chip.

000. A bottom boot chip has split the lowest-address erase block into smaller pieces, a top-boot chip has the split block at the highest addresses of the chip.

--

Tauno Voipio, MSEE
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Professor says do your own homework.

Hint, where does a 68000 start executing code on startup? An x86 processor?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Wrong, wrong, wrong. (Not true.) The bits from the top-boot have to filter down through all of the non-boot blocks, which takes -longer-.

Especially if the non-boot blocks are programmed - 1 bits have a lower co-efficient of friction than 0 bits do.

The real problem with bottom-boot is that if you do a lot of debugging, all the dead bugs tend to collect there and clutter things up.

RK.

Reply to
d_s_klein

damn right. I completely forgot those implementation details. That's why I prefer to use magnetic bubble memory.

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to
whygee

oh, yes, just flip the MSB. the price of a single-gate inverter like SN74LVC1G04 is not so high today. But isn't the inverter gate's delay over-compensating the faster access ?

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to
whygee

That's why I always invert the address bits.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

but then you will get all your data negated ! so this displaces the inverter gates from the address bus to the data bus, with no speed gain.

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to
whygee

Not if you get the inversion by soldering the memory chip upside-down.

Reply to
Jim Stewart