Virtex-II Pro Platform FPGA : Assembling the modules

Hi, I am trying to do the partial reconfiguration. I almost came to the final step which is place and route of the logic of the completely expanded design. After using this command:

par -w top.ncd top_routed.ncd

I meet this error: FATAL_ERROR:Guide:basgitaskphyspr.c:372:1.28.20.3:286 - A previous module has placed the comp: Pim/myRegister/myRegister/PWR_VCC_0 on the same site: SLICE_X43Y159 where the current guide comp PWR_VCC_0 also needs to be placed.

Please tell me what happens and how to fix it.

Thank you so much for your time. Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Hi Thang Nguyen,

are you using VCC-components in your bus-macros(*.nmc)? Don't include VCC-Blocks in bus-macros.

Regards

Jens

THANG NGUYEN schrieb:

step which is place and route of the logic of the completely expanded design. After using this command:

previous module has placed the comp: Pim/myRegister/myRegister/PWR_VCC_0 on the same site: SLICE_X43Y159 where the current guide comp PWR_VCC_0 also needs to be placed.

Reply to
Jens Hagemeyer

Thank Jens, Actually I use the bus macro bm_4b_v2p.nmc in the folder \bus_macros\angle_delimiter of the axemple xapp290 of Xilinx because I use the ML310 with the FPGA Virtex II Pro. As your recommend, should I recreate the bus macro?

Thank so much for your time. Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Hi, As I know, there is not VCC-Blocks in the bus macro. Is this the problem about bus macro? Or the broblem of the module myRegister? Thanks Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Hi Thang,

the xilinx bus marcos will be ok. I'm not sure about the software you're using, but if doing partial reconfiguration, i would strongly suggest to use the Early Access Partial Reconfiguration Patch for 8.1i.

See also the paper presented by xilinx on FPL06: "Enhanced architectures, design methodologies and CAD tools for dynamic reconfiguration of xilinx FPGAs"

Regards,

Jens

THANG NGUYEN schrieb:

about bus macro? Or the broblem of the module myRegister? Thanks Thang Nguyen

Reply to
Jens Hagemeyer

Hi, I use the ISE 6.3i. I also try it with the ISE 8.2i in my University, but it doesn't work with the macro, I think so. This is the error message when I use

8.2i:

WARNING:Pds:119 - Attempted to load old format .nmc file "C:\THANG\CPR1\implementation\top_level_initial/bm_4b_v2p.nmc", but this format is no longer supported. EXCEPTION:Pds:Pds_PahFileConv.c:124:1.17 - Database conversion failed. FATAL_ERROR:NgdBuild:Portability/export/Port_Main.h:127:1.5.56.1 - This application has discovered an exceptional condition from which it cannot recover. Process will terminate.

This project is really important to me. I start working on my master thesis, and this is my first step. Thank you for your answers.

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Hi Thang,

the NMC/NCD format has changed between ISE6/7. There is a way to convert the macros, but i would suggest to use the ones from the xilinx website for PREAT8 flow. The Early Access Partial Reconfiguration Suite contains basic busmacros, examples, and much more. It may also be possible, if you, for whatever reason, not be able to use ISE8.1, to use the old patch for partial reconfiguration, based on ISE6.3. A new partial reconfiguration patch, based on ISE 8.2, should become available soon.

Regards,

Jens

THANG NGUYEN schrieb:

[...]

Could you tell me where I can find it? I try to search but I did not find the patch for ISE 6.3i. Thank you so much. Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Regards,

Jens

THANG NGUYEN schrieb:

The Early Access Partial Reconfiguration Suite contains basic busmacros, examples, and much more. It may also be possible, if you, for whatever reason, not be able to use ISE8.1, to use the old patch for partial reconfiguration, based on ISE6.3. "

patch for ISE 6.3i. Thank you so much. Thang Nguyen

Reply to
Jens Hagemeyer

Hi Jens, Thank you for your patience answering my questions. Your help is really important with me. I am very appreciate your answers.

I installed the Service Pack 3 for ISE 6.3i. After that I rebuild the system again. And when I came to the command:

par -w top.ncd top_routed.ncd

I meet a new error:

Loading device database for application Par from file "..\Pim/myRegister/myRegister.ncd". "top" is an NCD, version 2.38, device xc2vp30, package ff896, speed -6 FATAL_ERROR:Guide:basgitaskphyspr.c:333:1.28.20.4:137 - Guide encountered a Logic0 or Logic1 signal GLOBAL_LOGIC1 that does not have a driver or load within the module boundary. This problem may be caused by having a constant driving the input from outside the module boundary or because a driver or load comp did not meet the par-guiding criteria. The design will not be completely placed and routed by Par-Guide Process will terminate. To resolve this error, please consult the Answers Database and other online resources at . If you need further assistance, please open a Webcase by clicking on the "WebCase" link at

Do I miss any package? Because I just found the SP3 for ISE 6.3i. The Early Access Partial Reconfiguration Suite is only support for ISE 8.1i, while I use ISE 6.3i.

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Hi Thang,

installing a service pack is always a good idea. Seems like the links on the archive site points to the new patch. You can use this link:

It contains the old patches for 6.3.03. As you can see in the userguide, the final assembly phase has been replaced by the merge phase. What prevents you from using the "new" patch for 8.1.01?

Regards

Jens

THANG NGUYEN schrieb:

[...]

Hi Jens, I don't have the ISE 8.1i version, so I can't use the patch for 8.1.01. As I say, I have only ISE 6.3i and ISE 8.2i. Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Dear Jens, I can't use the patch for 8.1i because I don't have the ISE 8.1i. I have only the ISE version 6.3i or ISE 8.2i. Do I misunderstand something? I read in the PREAT_install.doc, and it told me that the PartialFlow_v8.zip file has to be installed on the top of ISE 6.3i SP3. But when I install, the program told me that this only use for ISE 8.1i version. Is there another version of PartialFlow which use with ISE 6.3i??? Thank Jens Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Dear Jens,

I can't use the patch for 8.1i because I don't have the ISE 8.1i. I have only the ISE version 6.3i or ISE 8.2i. Do I misunderstand something? I read in the PREAT_install.doc, and it told me that the PartialFlow_v8.zip file has to be installed on the top of ISE 6.3.03i. But when I install it, the program told me that this only use for ISE 8.1i version. Is there another version of PartialFlow which use with ISE 6.3i??? I see in the link you just gave me there is only the PartialFlow_v8.zip. Can it install on ISE 6.3i?

Thank Jens Thang Nguyen

Reply to
THANG NGUYEN

Dear Thang,

hope i can clean this confusion:

-the patch version you found on the xilinx website is for ISE 8.1.01

-the patch version in the link i gave to you is for ISE 6.3.03! Really! You can just install them on top of 6.3.03 as described in PREAT_install.doc in the link.

Both versions are called PartialFlow_v8.zip because both are subversion

8 of the patch, e.g. there are also PartialFlow_v7.zip for both, ISE 6.3.03 and ISE 8.1.01. Just compare the PartialFlow_v8.zip from the link and the xilinx website, and you will see the difference. I personally used the 6.3.03 patch before the 8.1.01 was available, it is working! When install the patch, and you have multiple versions of ISE installed, make sure that the $XILINX enviroment variable point to the right installation.

I asked about ISE 8.1.01 because i personally would prefer to use the newest version of the patch available, because of fixed bugs and other improvements, and i assumed that you have access to it, just because you have access to ISE 8.2.

I apologize for any confusion i may have caused.

Regards,

Jens

THANG NGUYEN schrieb:

the ISE version 6.3i or ISE 8.2i. Do I misunderstand something? I read in the PREAT_install.doc, and it told me that the PartialFlow_v8.zip file has to be installed on the top of ISE 6.3.03i. But when I install it, the program told me that this only use for ISE 8.1i version. Is there another version of PartialFlow which use with ISE 6.3i??? I see in the link you just gave me there is only the PartialFlow_v8.zip. Can it install on ISE 6.3i?

Reply to
Jens Hagemeyer

Dear Jens, Finally, I can use the ISE 8.1i. But, there is a problem, that is I can only found the ISE SP3 version. And after I update to SP3, I can not install the partial reconfiguration implementation tools any more :((. Do you have ISE SP1 for ISE 8.1i? Thank you very much, Thang Nguyen

Reply to
Thang Nguyen

Dear Jens,

Through reading some topic in this forum, I see that there are still some bugs on this ISE 8.1i. My friend also try run an example with ISE 8.1i. But when he run the floorplanner when design an example on the Spartan2e, he could not find the clock pin. He still not install the Partial Flow yet. Is it the main reason? We still can not find the service pack 1 for ISE 8.1i.

Thanks alot!

Thang Nguyen

Reply to
Thang Nguyen

Hi Thang,

try this links for 8.1.01, they worked for me:

Choose the one you need for your operating system. Never use a version of ISE without any service pack installed. I don't know about floorplanner issues regarding Spartan 2E, since i'm not using that part. Have you tried to specify the clock pin in the UCF file manually?

Regards,

Jens

Thang Nguyen schrieb:

on this ISE 8.1i. My friend also try run an example with ISE 8.1i. But when he run the floorplanner when design an example on the Spartan2e, he could not find the clock pin. He still not install the Partial Flow yet. Is it the main reason? We still can not find the service pack 1 for ISE 8.1i.

Reply to
Jens Hagemeyer

Hi Jens,

I use Window. It looks like there is only the Add directory, which includes ISEExamples, and Replace directory, which includes docs. I can not update to the sp1 with these two directories. :(

Thang Nguyen

Reply to
Thang Nguyen

Hi Thang,

sure you can. Just replace .zip with .exe =).

Sorry for this typo. All other archs using *.zip, only windows use

*.exe =(.

Regards

Jens