Quartus II Command Line and Project Files

I have a Verilog project created through the Quartus II 4.1 GUI under
Windows.  I am trying to build it (analyze, synthesize, fit, etc)
using the Windows command-line quartus_<name> tools.

Is it possible to reuse the project files such as qpf and qsf with the
quartus_map, quartus_fit, etc tools?  I don't see any way to pass them
in.

Do I have to figure out the command line equivalents for every setting
in each file's corresponding qsf?

Would it be easier to generate a TCL script from the GUI and then use
the quartus_sh TCL interpreter instead?

I am looking for the fastest way to do this.

Thank you,

Vladan

Re: Quartus II Command Line and Project Files
Hi,

I have a Verilog project created through the Quartus II 4.1 GUI under
Windows.  I am trying to build it (analyze, synthesize, fit, etc)
using the Windows command-line quartus_<name> tools.

Is it possible to reuse the project files such as qpf and qsf with the
quartus_map, quartus_fit, etc tools?  I don't see any way to pass them
in.

Do I have to figure out the command line equivalents for every setting
in each file's corresponding qsf?

Would it be easier to generate a TCL script from the GUI and then use
the quartus_sh TCL interpreter instead?

I am looking for the fastest way to do this.

Thank you,

Vladan

P.S.

I apologize if this question appears twice, the post did not appear on
my newsgroup server after I submitted it initially.

Re: Quartus II Command Line and Project Files
I hate to reply to my own posts, but I think I may have found a
solution, so I'll post it here for the sake of completeness.

The following command will do a full compilation while taking into
account the project files generated by the GUI:
quartus_sh --flow compile <name of QPF> -c <name of desired revision>

Re: Quartus II Command Line and Project Files
Hi Vladan,

Another very useful resource for help on
a) command line scripting (i.e. passing arguments to the various executables
on the command line, as well as
b) procedural scripting (i.e. using Tcl commands for interpretation by the
executables Tcl interpreter) can be found at
http://www.altera.com/literature/manual/TclScriptRefMnl.pdf

If you need finer control it is possible to call quartus_map, quartus_fit,
quartus_tan, quartus_asm, quartus_pow, quartus_eda and quartus_sim
separately with the appropriate options. The document referred to in the URL
covers the options in full detail.

Hope this helps,
- Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

Re: Quartus II Command Line and Project Files
Create a tcl file. Then call Quartus on the command line mode.  Read the
documentation. Also check teh example Chip trip I believe,
has an example tcl file.  Bacically, it defines the project name, and any
options you set. Such as fpga family and device.
It'll use any schematic, vhdl, vhd files in the project. Much better that
Xilinx.  You can also use the Error Level to trap any
errors if you call it from a Batch file.

You can also call the programmer this way also.

Cheers