New uses of FPGAs

FPGAs are used in a wide variety of applications from automotive to computing and space. Why are they not used inside optical modules?

Re: New uses of FPGAs

In my experience FPGAs don't have very good optical properties, but YMMV.

--
Stef    (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

One family builds a wall, two families enjoy it.

Re: New uses of FPGAs
Altera had a prototype of FPGA with fiber connection to the silicon.

Re: New uses of FPGAs

They are used in SFPs, eg https://www.embrionix.com/

Re: New uses of FPGAs

Are SFPs used for interfaces other than fiber?  I see in Wikipedia that 1000 and 100BASE copper is supported.  What about other such as T1/E1 or serial port circuits?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: New uses of FPGAs

SFPs are ethernet PHYs.  There are PHYs for twisted pair (RJ45), and passive
direct attach copper cables (SFP on each end).  T1/E1 and serial ports
aren't ethernet.

I suppose in principle someone could do a 10BASE2 or 10BASE5 SFP, but they
don't seem to exist.

Theo

Re: New uses of FPGAs

Pffft.  SFPs, as defined by their SFF, are independent of Ethernet.  The
vast majority of SFPs are little more than a laser, a photodiode,
amplifiers and a control/monitoring circuit.  This makes them protocol
agnostic, and they work quite well for any optical protocol, such as
SONET or Fibrechannel within their bitrate range.

Some SFPs (they're in the minority) contain active electronics that will
terminate Ethernet (in the form of SGMII, 1000Base-X or 10GBase-X)
protocol on the electrical interface side, and convert it to something
else.
There are many "something elses".  I've used ones that convert to:
E1
DS3
1000Base-T
N-Base-T
10GBase-T
There are also SFPs that convert digital video to Ethernet.  See this
company for example:  https://www.embrionix.com/

Let's not forget Pasive DACs (Direct Attach Cables).  These are basically
two twinax cables with an SFP on each end (and also AC coupling caps, an
EEPROM, but typically no microcontroller).  The range is limited to a
couple of meters or so at 10Gb/s, but they're the cheapest way to link
equipment in a rack.
Active DACs are like passive DACs but contain amplifiers, to attain more
range (some meters).

Regards,
Allan

Re: New uses of FPGAs

I could be mistaken but I thought a colleague showed me a unit that brought in T1/E1.  I could be mistaken.

10BASE2 and 10BASE5 are older technologies that are not so widely used.  10/100BASE-T is much more common and SFP units are available.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: New uses of FPGAs

https://www.rad.com/products/Pluggable-PNFs-SFPs/MiRICi-E1-T1-MiRICi-E3-T3-Miniature-Ethernet-to-E3-T3-Remote-Bridge

Not so widely used? I'd dare say they are extinct. Of course one might
actually find either used in the field, but it'll be a million-to-one find.
Sort of like finding that Amiga still controlling the school's HVAC or whatever.

Average time of a T connector on a 10BASE2 networking flaking out was
measured in months, it would be miraculous if you found a complete
network working.

--
Doug McIntyre
snipped-for-privacy@themcintyres.us

Re: New uses of FPGAs

The company i mentioned do SFPs for SDI over copper, using mini-BNC or DIN connectors. The idea being that you can start off with cheap copper and transition to more expensive fibre. They also do SDI to HDMI SFPs.

Re: New uses of FPGAs

What do you think about PYNQ?
Zynq can be used easily for machine learning.
http://www.pynq.io/ml

Site Timeline