How to embed time and date in Xilinx FPGA?

I would like to automatically embed the Xilinx compile (synthesize) time into my FPGA. I have a script file that can put the time and date into my Verilog code.

I would like to automatically call that script file from the Xilinx ISE everytime i run the synthesizer. Is there anyway for the ISE to call an outside routine (other than running the whole thing from a command line without the ISE) ?

Is there an easier way to embed date and time in the FPGA?. I want to make it as easy as possible otherwise no one will do it. That is why I would like to have it hook right into the ISE.

Suggestions apreciated,

Bob

Reply to
freeagent.20.oracle

Hi Bob, You could use data2mem to put the time into a BRAM after the compile is complete. Dunno if that helps you? Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

My suggestion would be to use the exported Tcl script from ISE 10.1. This would allow you to use the ISE GUI, and do any other function in the script. There would be a fair amount of setup, but after that it would be easy, just click on an icon to launch ISE.

To set this up, follow the directions below.

Open Project Navigator and export a Tcl script to the default name and location. I suggest having the top radio button checked: (All properties with complete script). Then exit Project Navigator. Copy this script to the src directory. Download this script to the same directory.

Edit the project.tcl script to make the names match, and to add in the date and time script. Save the bld directory if there is anything in it. This script does assume that none of your source files are in the bld directory.

Assuming Windows, create a shortcut (Linux "Launcher") with a command of:

xtclsh path_to_your_project\src\project.tcl

Set the directory to start in to:

path_to_your_project\src\

Double click the shortcut. Script takes about 30 seconds to run (YMMV), then launches ISE.

Assuming you don't want a shortcut or launcher (Also easier to debug if the shortcut doesn't work):

Open a terminal window. cd path_to_your_project/src/ xtclsh project.tcl

Every time you run the project.tcl script, it creates a temporary .ise file. You can save settings by just "project => generate Tcl script..." again, and the saved settings will be copied back to the src directory. If you don't save settings, the script in src doesn't change.

Hope this is useful to you.

--
Phil Hays
Reply to