Is my DSO glitchy, or it's me? (Delayed single-sweep)

Hello...

I haven't been long around DSOs, so I don't know if I'm getting something all wrong (reads: please bear with me :) It's an HP54615B.

I'm trying to trigger on the first rising edge of a signal on CH1 and some 12ms later capture a detailed data frame on CH2. I set

Source=CH1, Mode=Single, Coupling=DC, Level=2.0V, Hor.Mode=Delayed,

and place the delayed-sweep window around the place where the data frame starts. Then I hit ERASE-RUN, and the main trace shows both signals as expected (CH1 on the trigger mark, CH2 transitions inside the window). Then it may:

a) Keep blinking the (1^) sign, as if waiting for a second trigger, no trace on 2nd window b) Stop blinking, no trace on 2nd window c) Time-out (?) some 5 secs later and correctly trace the delayed-sweep as indicated.

The manual reads: "Main and delayed sweeps are obtained in alternate acquistions. Single sweep in delayed mode acquires on trigger for main and one trigger for delayed." (I believe there is a typo and it should read "ONE trigger for main and one trigger for delayed").

Still, this doesn't explain the (apparently) erratic behavior. ¿Who's wrong, the scope or me?

Thanks for your ideas,

- ariel

Reply to
Ariel Cornejo

Hi!

I would find it odd that it can only capture the traces alternately? Doesn't the chop function work in storage mode? It surely should be able to capture both traces simultaneously, that's part of the point of storage isn't it?

I'm not familiar with that particular model though....still using a Tek

7633 analog storage beast here :-)

Yours, Mark.

Ariel Cornejo wrote:

Reply to
Mark (UK)

No, I didn't mean chop mode - it does capture the traces simultaenously. From what I understand, main/delayed sweeps are done on alternate triggers (trigger->main sweep, trigger->delayed sweep, trigger...).

I've had the pleasure to use Tek7000s. Too bad the ppl in charge didn't give them proper maintenance and they decided to phase them out and bring in a lot of cheap 20-MHz GoldStars (eww). I loved that mix-and-match modularity (hmm... 4 channels or dual timebases?).

greetings,

- ariel

Reply to
Ariel Cornejo